We had two playoff games on the farm yesterday, and two pretty good starting pitching performances. Unfortunately, only one of those games resulted in a win.
That win goes to Daytona. Last year’s Daytona Cubs ran through the postseason on the strength of their pitching (four shutouts in five wins). If Game One is any indication, this year’s version of the High A Cubs may roll on the potency of their bats. There is a lot of baseball to be played, but the Cubs are off to a great start.
Scores From Yesterday
Performances of Note
- [Daytona] Rob Zastryzny struck out 4 over 6 innings. He allowed a run on a walk and 6 hits.
- [Daytona] Three relievers pitched a scoreless inning, but all three made things potentially interesting. Gerardo Concepcion walked 3, Starlin Peralta walked 2, and Jose Rosario gave up 2 hits.
- [Daytona] Kyle Schwarber had only one hit, but it just so happened to be a grand slam.
- [Daytona] Dan Vogelbach had 2 hits, a double and a 2 run homer.
- [Daytona] Billy McKinney also had 2 hits. Willson Contreras and Bijan Rademacher had 3 hits each.
- [Boise] Jake Stinnett allowed a run on 2 hits and struck out 8 over his 5 innings of work. The bullpen could not keep it up, though, as every reliever after Stinnett allowed at least one additional run.
- [Boise] Although, to be fair, Corbin Hoffner pitched pretty well. A solo homer was the only hit he allowed in 2 innings, and he struck out 4 in the process.
- [Boise] A solo homer from Alex Tomasovich was the only extra base hit for the Hawks. Charcer Burks drew the only walk.
- Kane County opens their postseason today on the road in Wisconsin. As expected, they are sending Jen-Ho Tseng to the mound in Game One.
- Game Two of Daytona’s best of three series is tonight. Leading the series 1-0, the Cubs send Tayler Scott to the mound.
- The Boise series is also best of three, and it continues tonight in Hillsboro. Trailing the series 0-1, Boise sends Jeremy Null to the hill to try to stave off early elimination. Null started in Hillsboro on August 14 and held the Hops to a run on 3 hits over 3 innings.