The Daytona Cubs have swept Dunedin in two games to advance to the Florida State League Championship series. And, as we noted yesterday, this year’s version of the D-Cubs did it with the bats. The Cubs now have three days off before starting the best of five FSL Championship Series on Sunday against Fort Myers.
On the other side of the continent, Boise was swept out of the playoffs in two games by the Hillsboro Hops. Boise’s 2014 season is now over.
Scores From Yesterday
Daytona – The Cubs scored early as they swept away the Blue Jays in this 9-4 win.
Kane County – Kane County took an early lead and held on to win the road game of their opening series 7-3.
Boise Hawks – The Hawks took an early lead, but it did not last. They lost 5-2.
Performances of Note
- [Daytona] Tayler Scott struggled in his 2 innings on the mound, but Nathan Dorris and Austin Kirk were able to stop the bleeding with 3 scoreless innings each.
- [Daytona] Bijan Rademacher had the Cubs only home run in this one.
- [Daytona] Jacob Hannemann had a nice day. He finished with 3 hits and a stolen base.
- [Daytona] Gioskar Amaya also had a nice day. He finished with 3 hits and a double.
- [Kane County] Jen-Ho Tseng allowed 2 runs on 2 hits (including a homer) and a walk while striking out 4 over 6 innings of work. Tyler Ihrig finished off the game.
- [Kane County] Mike Olt, on a rare playoff rehab assignment, homered and finished 2 for 3.
- [Kane County] Mark Zagunis collected 3 hits.
- [Kane County] Trey Martin finished with 2 hits, including a double, and also stole a base. Shawon Dunston also earned a steal to go with his single and 2 walks.
- [Boise] Jeremy Null struck out 6 over 4.2 innings while allowing 3 runs on 6 hits and a walk.
- [Boise] Justin Marra homered. That hit was responsible for all the Hawks’ runs.
- [Boise] Rashad Crawford finished 3 for 4 with a double.
- The Daytona Cubs will open the FSL Championship series in Fort Myers (Twins organization) on Sunday. That will be a best of five series, and, because it is an even numbered year, Daytona will host the final three games. Fort Myers was a good second half team, so this is not likely to be an easy series for the Cubs. Then again, that lineup is capable of putting up a lot of runs. It is tough to handicap this series, but it is hard not to feel that the Cubs’ powerful lineups gives them a great shot at their second consecutive title.
- Kane County looks to complete their own sweep as they return home today to continue their best of three series with Wisconsin. Duane Underwood will take the mound for the Cougars.