Is this the beginning of the epic story of how the 2014 Daytona Cubs rallied back from a zero games to two deficit in the best of five championship series and won the title? Maybe. It is potentially the start of such a rally, anyway, and a rally that was brought about by an eighth inning rally to give the Cubs their first win of the series.
Kane County had to do some rallying of their own, but in the end the Cougars won their third straight postseason game and take a one game lead in the best of three semifinal.
Scores From Yesterday
Daytona – It took a three run homer in the bottom of the eighth, but the Cubs picked up the 8-7 win.
Kane County – Kane County scored four times in the final three innings and came away with a 5-2 win.
Performances of Note
- [Daytona] Willson Contreras is the hero of the game. His first postseason homer was the three run blast that put the Cubs ahead for good in the bottom of the eighth. He also doubled and finished with 3 hits.
- [Daytona] Ben Carhart and Billy McKinney each finished with 2 hits.
- [Daytona] Nathan Dorris and Yao-Lin Wang split the first 6 innings on the mound and allowed 5 runs while striking out 7 between them.
- [Daytona] Gerardo Concepcion gave up a run in his inning on the hill, but he also struck out 3.
- [Kane County] Mark Zagunis, in right field for this game, homered and tripled as part of his 2 hit night.
- [Kane County] Cael Brockmeyer also tripled.
- [Kane County] Trey Martin did not have a hit, but he did walk twice and steal his 3rd base of the postseason.
- [Kane County] Despite giving up 7 hits over 5 innings, Daury Torrez allowed just one run. Striking out 5 no doubt helped.
- [Kane County] Francisco Carrillo struck out 3 in the final inning to seal it.
- Despite the win, Daytona still stands on the brink of elimination. Another win ties the series, though, and forces an all decisive Game Five. The Cubs go for that win in Daytona tonight.
- Kane County, meanwhile, will go for their second postseason sweep in as many series tonight in Kane County. Paul Blackburn, he of the 3.23 regular season ERA, will take the mound for the Cougars.