Kane County’s unbeaten tromp through the postseason continued as they swept Cedar Rapids and advanced to the Midwest League Championship Series. That means one third of the Cubs’ stateside minor league teams, and one half of the full season squads, will finish no worse than runner up in their respective leagues. Not bad at all.
Meanwhile, the Daytona Cubs had a very Daytona sort of day. I suppose we should have expected a rainout at some point the playoffs. It just wouldn’t be Florida State League baseball if there wasn’t rain some time. There will be no doubleheader as a result, though. Instead, the schedule just shifts back a day.
Scores From Yesterday
Performances of Note
- [Kane County] Paul Blackburn did not disappoint. Over 5 scoreless innings Blackburn allowed a single hit, walked none, and struck out 7.
- [Kane County] Francisco Carrillo struck out both men he faced to end the game.
- [Kane County] Carlos Penalver hit the go ahead homer in the 7th inning and finished with 3 hits.
- [Kane County] A Jacob Rogers 6th inning homer got the scoring started the Low A affiliate. That was Rogers’ only hit of the day.
- [Kane County] Jeffrey Baez walked, singled, and stole two bases
- Trailing 2-1 in the best of five Florida State League Championship Series, Daytona will send Rob Zastryzny to the mound in Daytona tonight (weather permitting). Zastryzny has pitched well in the second half of the season, including in the playoffs so far. If he can handle most of the innings in Game Four, should the Cubs force a Game Five they may be able to rely extensively on a bullpen that has been very effective of late. At the end of the day Daytona will need a few outbursts from their potent offense to win these next two games, but a start by Zastryzny tonight and a committee effort tomorrow might give them their best chance.
- Kane County has a few days off before they open the Midwest League Championship Series at home against Lake County. The final round begins Wednesday night and will continue Thursday night at Fifth Third Ballpark. On Saturday the series shifts to Lake County for as many games as is necessary to conclude the best of five affair. Starting pitchers for Wednesday have not yet been announced.