We have, at most, four more games in this minor league season. The way Kane County has been playing, though, that four may turn out to be only two.
Now that there is just one team playing, the usual format has been retired for the year. Only Kane County occupies the spotlight now, and after a season in which they were the best team (relative to their level) in the organization, that spotlight is well deserved.
The Cougars continued their unbeaten playoff streak with another home win last night in Game One of the Midwest League Championship series against Lake County. The final was 4-3.
As for the highlights:
- Jen-Ho Tseng got the start, and through 5 innings he allowed 3 runs (2 earned) on 6 hits and a walk while striking out 8.
- After Tseng left, the bullpen allowed nothing but a lone hit and a lone walk the rest of the game. Credit Ben Wells, Jasvir Rakkar, and Francisco Carrillo with finishing off the win.
- Mark Zagunis had just one hit for Kane County last night; that hit happened to be his second postseason homer.
- Shawon Dunston finished with 3 hits and a pair of stolen bases. He now has 5 postseason steals.
- Jeimer Candelario continued his excellent run of playoff performances with another two hit game.
Game Two, and the final Kane County home game of 2014, is tonight. Duane Underwood takes the mound for Kane County.
This series is best of five, so, even if they win tonight, the Cubs Low A affiliate will have to pick up at least one road win to take the series and clinch their title. The away portion of the schedule begins on Saturday.
More From Bleacher Nation