Consider this me preparing for a future when the playoffs are going to matter a whole lot more to Cubs fans …
- Last night, the Kansas City Royals won again in extra innings, this time over the Los Angeles Angels in the first game of the ALDS. Mike Moustakas provided the game-winning homer in the 11th inning, and the Royals won it 3-2. Mike Trout, Josh Hamilton, and Albert Pujols were a combined 0-13.
- The teams go again tonight at 8:30pm CT, with breakout righty Matt Shoemaker hosting studly youngster Yordano Ventura.
- The Orioles rocked the Tigers, 12-3 in Baltimore yesterday. Starting for the Tigers? Impending free agent Max Scherzer, who, like Jon Lester and James Shields, will now have to sign in the offseason for $3. Scherzer went 7.1 with 6 Ks and a walk, but he gave up a couple homers and 5 earned runs.
- The story of the season for the Tigers played out in this one, too: the bullpen (Coke, Chamberlain, and Soria, in this one) gave up 6 earned runs in just 0.2 innings of work.
- The teams will play today at 11:00am CT, with Justin Verlander facing Wei-Yin Chen. Hopefully for the Tigers, Verlander can go 9 innings.
- The NLDS gets underway today, too, so it’s a full day of baseball. I’ll get a Pre-Gamin’ up before the first game so you can do the game threading thing all day if you’d like.