Hopefully you treated yourself and your family to a nice, long, holiday weekend, Friday through Sunday. The “hope” in there isn’t entirely a passing pleasantry, either – if you missed some of the news as it broke this weekend, you’re probably better off coming to it now with a little more context. But we’ll get to that.
Friday, December 26
- After the usual morning Bullets, I took a look at new Cubs pitcher Mike Kickham (whose pickup you may have missed). Waiver pickups get you only so far, but Kickham looks like the right kind of gamble.
- The Cubs’ World Series odds just keep getting nuttier.
- We haven’t had an opportunity to fawn over Cubs prospects in a while, and there was a new opportunity!
- I still have some concerns about where the Cubs’ offense – as currently projected – stands.
Saturday, December 27
- Remember Brandon Webb? Not the serious bummer of an ending, but how his story started – from borderline non-prospect to one of the best pitchers in baseball. How did he do it, and whom does it make you think of?
- I tried to figure out how Edwin Jackson might fit in the bullpen, but mostly just came away with more questions.
- And the big one. Starlin Castro was connected to a nightclub shooting in the Dominican Republic by various reports, but it sounds like he wasn’t involved.
Sunday, December 28
- We tried to unpack the information available on Castro and the shooting – his agent offered his take that Castro was not involved and has been cleared, Castro offered a statement – and I tried to put things into perspective.
- On a much lighter note, I looked at Cubs pitchers’ HR/FB ratio last year, and wondered if we’re going to see more homers given up in 2015.