I would have expected a light post-New Year weekend, including the Friday after the awkwardly-timed Thursday holiday. It really wasn’t, though. Things you may have missed …
Friday, January 2
- You know what? I’m going to re-share the year-end wrap post from New Year’s Eve, in case you missed that one, too. OK, now here’s the actual Friday stuff …
- The Yankees and Braves got together on an interesting deal involving former big-time pitching prospect Manny Banuelos, which afforded us the opportunity to discuss the fragility of top prospect asset value.
- Friday’s Bullets gave some additional love to the sustainability of Jake Arrieta’s success.
- Myles hooked us up with a Cubs Where Are They Now on Felix Pie. You wondered, didn’t you?
- The latest on Cuban super prospect Yoan Moncada is technically a non-update (but that’s good!), though it does include new video.
- With Chris Denorfia coming on board at some point soon, I took a look at the makeup of the Cubs’ outfield right now, as well as the bench.
Saturday, January 3
- Although it’s been a rough several months for folks’ views of Javier Baez’s future, it was worth taking a moment to consider how good he could still be, even if the strikeout remains high. It just, you know, has to not be insanely high.
- The Giants may no longer be in on James Shields, which has me wondering just how his market is going to shake out.
Sunday, January 4
- Hall of Fame voting results are coming this week. Brace yourself.
- And the most intriguing rumor of the weekend: the Cubs are reportedly one of four teams “seriously” pursuing Ben Zobrist.