Spring Training is in full swing, even if the games aren’t quite here yet. The Cubs play their first set – split-squad style – on Thursday.
If you missed anything from the weekend …
Friday, February 27
- The big site news, for those who missed it, is that we’ve got two new writers in the fold, Michael Cerami and Luis Medina. You’ll be seeing them here and there in the coming weeks, and more as we get into the season. Michael wrote his first piece on well-traveled reliever Gonzalez Germen, whom the Cubs were able to stash at AAA Iowa.
- The 2015 draft and IFA bonus pools are out.
- The MLBPA will be watching the Cubs in how they deal with Kris Bryant’s call up timeline. Meanwhile, he’s hitting Spring bombs.
- Adam Wainwright is dealing with an abdominal strain, which has put his Opening Night start (against the Cubs) in doubt.
- There was a big set of prospect notes later on Friday.
Saturday, February 28
- Javier Baez has made some mechanical adjustments to his swing, including lowering his hands.
- Jon Lester is throwing in a Cubs uniform, which is awesome.
Sunday, March 1
- Among the morning Bullets, Miguel Montero talked about his 2014 season with the Diamondbacks, and we looked at why/how he was down in the second half.
- Luis made his BN writing debut with a look at Drake Britton, the lefty the Cubs recently claimed from the Red Sox.
- Tons and tons of Spring Training batting practice footage to share.