Up front confession: I am currently hosting a baby shower (yes, you read that correctly), so I’m not going to go into too much detail on tonight’s Cubs win over the Mariners, 12-10 at Sloan Park.
Besides, you already know the two big things from the game – two more homers from Kris Bryant.
- In addition to Bryant, Addison Russell and Welington Castillo went deep, each of which is awesome for its own reasons. Castillo’s other hit on the day was a double, and he’s really put together an incredible Spring. To the extent Cactus league performance can sway another team’s trade decisions, Castillo has done everything realistically possible.
- Javy Baez lead off the Cubs’ half of the first with a single to left, but from there went 0-3 with a couple strikeouts.
- Starter Eric Jokisch, filling in for Jon Lester, went just three innings and gave up three runs, but all were unearned. There were some boots in the outfield behind him, and he remains on track to be primary depth at AAA Iowa to open the year.
- Phil Coke, who has a job in the bullpen at this point, threw another scoreless inning with a couple strikeouts and a walk. He has yet to give up an earned run this Spring.
- Blake Parker, who may be on the outside looking in for a bullpen job, gave up a couple earned runs on three hits during his inning of work.
- It’s just Spring Training, but the Cubs tagged Felix Hernandez for six earned runs over just 2.2 innings of work. Nicely done, gents.