Now that Kris Bryant and his enormous trophy case featuring pretty much every minor league award ever is now in the major leagues, should we expect the rate at which awards are handed over to Cubs prospects to slow down?
The first round of Player of the Week honors have been announced, and the Cubs collect two of them. For the Low A Midwest League South Bend Cubs, catcher/first baseman Cael Brockmeyer and his line (at the time) of .444/.524/.694 takes home the hardware.
The Double A Southern League named Tennessee Smokies first baseman Dan Vogelbach their award winner. At the time of the award, Vogelbach had the second best On Base Percentage in minor league baseball (.579), and was fourth in the Southern League with a slugging percentage of .613.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – Iowa split a doubleheader at home, losing Game One 8-0 before winning Game Two 4-3 in extra innings.
Tennessee – Tennessee took an early lead, but let the game get away late. They lost 7-1.
Myrtle Beach – It took a late rally to push this game into extras, but once there the Pelicans won it 7-4.
South Bend – South Bend never trailed in this 3-0 win.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Michael Wagner pitched three hitless innings in relief in Game One, and Addison Russell joined Mike Baxter in accounting for the Cubs’ pair of hits. That concludes the positives from Game One.
- [Iowa] In Game Two the Cubs got a nice start from Yoanner Negrin (5 IP, 2 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 4 K) and some excellent late inning bullpen work from James Russell (2 IP, 3 K).
- [Iowa] At the plate, Russell finished 2 for 4 with a pair of doubles and his first steal of the season.
- [Iowa] Jonathan Mota, playing shortstop now, picked up his first double of the season.
- [Iowa] Catcher Taylor Davis homered (his first) and finished 2 for 4.
- [Tennessee] Dan Vogelbach celebrated his first trophy of the new season with his first home run.
- [Tennessee] A double from Stephen Bruno was the only other extra base hit for the Smokies. Bruno also stole his second base of the season.
- [Tennessee] Frank Batista needed 87 pitches to get through 4.2 innings, but he struck out 5 while allowing one run on 2 hits and a walk.
- [Tennessee] C.J. Edwards got 5 outs in relief, and 3 of them came on strikeouts. But he also gave up 4 runs (none of them earned) on a hit and 2 walks.
- [Myrtle Beach] Gerardo Concepcion allowed just one hit and struck out one in his 2 innings of relief in this one. Taylor Scott (3 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K) and Matt Brazis (1 IP, 1 BB, 2 K) also pitched very well in relief.
- [Myrtle Beach] Jacob Hannemann walked twice, singled twice, and stole a total of 3 bases.
- [Myrtle Beach] Billy McKinney hit his first homer of the season and finished with 2 hits.
- [Myrtle Beach] Jacob Rogers homered for the second time, and also walked 3 times.
- [South Bend] Jesse Hodges and Chesny Young each had 2 hits for the Cubs. Young also stole 2 bases and now has four this season.
- [South Bend] Ryan Williams only struck out 3 in his 5.2 innings on the mound, but gave up no runs despite allowing 7 hits.
- [South Bend] The South Bend bullpen has had some struggles lately, so it was good to see David Garner (1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 K) and James Norwood (2 IP, 3 K) turn in two quality outings.
- The pitcher who threw a two hit shutout against the Iowa Cubs in Game One of their doubled header was none other than Scott Baker. The same Scott Baker that the Cubs signed to a get-healthy contract a few years back that did not exactly pan out for the Cubs. Now part of the Dodgers’ organization, Baker is off to a very good start. I like seeing players come back from injuries, so whenever he isn’t playing against the Cubs I tend to root for this guy.
- I had two paragraphs written here about Addison Russell and how he was likely to be called up soon and where he might hit in the lineup. But about the time I finished it, the Cubs stole my thunder and word leaked that Russell was on his way to the majors. So instead of reading more stuff on this guy, I guess you’ll have to settle for watching him tonight instead.
More From Bleacher Nation