Although yesterday’s loss put a slight damper on things, it was mostly another good stretch of days for the Cubs. And quite a bit of news, too.
Friday, May 15
- Luke wrote about a number of rosters moves throughout the Cubs minor league system.
- I wrote about the recent Travis Wood struggles and the impending availability of Tsuyoshi Wada, which, by the end of the weekend, was something that happened.
- A handful of interesting items from the rumor mill in the latest Lukewarm Stove.
- The Cubs blew two huge leads, but ultimately beat the Pirates in a completely crazy game. Kris Bryant hit yet another homer in that one.
- If you missed the game, you’re going to want to watch how it ended here. Un-freaking-believable, as Jim Deshaies put it.
Saturday, May 16
- Anthony Rizzo’s latest homer was a 441-foot shot.
- After the previous day’s pitching meltdown, are there any new concerns? Or just the same old ones?
- I wrote many glowing words about Gleyber Torres for BP Wrigleyville.
- The Cubs brought back Brian Schlitter and sent Matt Szczur to AAA.
- On the back of a great Jon Lester start, and a number of productive outs, the Cubs beat the Pirates 4-1.
Sunday, May 17
- Jon Lester’s domination of the Pirates revisited.
- Travis Wood is in the bullpen now, but how will that go?
- Luke looked at the Cubs’ farm system as a whole so far, and sees a lot to be happy about.
- Luis checked in on the team at the top of the standings, which is important to the Cubs right now – and here’s hoping it stays that way on into the season (well, unless maybe the Cardinals lose 50 in a row and become irrelevant; that would be cool, but, you know, that won’t happen … ).
- The Cubs dropped the series finale with the Pirates as the bats couldn’t make anything fall in when it mattered.
- After the game, the official announcement came: Tsuyoshi Wada is in the rotation.