The Cubs managed to split a couple games with the Royals this weekend, together with plenty of prospect news, trade rumor stuff, and more. Catch yourself up …
Friday, May 29
- Is this batflip really as good as folks are making it out to be?
- Luis found a poll in which 55% of respondents said they prefer having pitchers hit, rather than the DH.
- The latest from the Lukewarm Stove has the Cubs actively looking for pitching. Maybe. Probably. Plus other rumor bits.
- Carl Edwards, Jr. (formerly CJ) was promoted to AAA Iowa.
- The Cubs came back in the middle innings only to lose late – and ugly – to the Royals.
- But at least Jorge Soler and Addison Russell hit some impressive homers that totally merited analysis.
Saturday, May 30
- The Cubs have been pretty awful with runners in scoring position, but you already knew that. Did you know how bad?
- The latest set of draft notes from Luis on the top 200 prospects and the possible connection to Daz Cameron.
- The Cubs are reportedly targeting Ben Zobrist in trade, as well as Diamondbacks lefty Oliver Perez and free agent reliever Rafael Soriano.
Sunday, May 31
- Another two homers for Kyle Schwarber, who is embarrassing AA pitching in ways not seen since, well, Kris Bryant.
- Carl Edwards, Jr. made his AAA debut, which got me discussing the Cubs’ plan for some of their future starters/pitchers/relievers.
- The oldest living Cub, and generally good guy, Lennie Merullo, has passed away.
- Luke looked at the Cubs’ minor league system and discussed the importance of the second round of the draft.
- It took 11 innings, but the Cubs walked it off against the Royals on a David Ross blooper, thus saving the weekend.