Believe it or not, we are already to the time of year when mid-season All Star rosters for the various minor leagues are announced. First up is the Midwest League, and it should come as no surprise that the Cubs are well represented. Catcher Cael Brockmeyer, shortstop Gleyber Torres (who, remember, is one of the youngest players in the league), and outfielder Charcer Burks will be all be part of the starting lineup for the Eastern Division. Joining them will be right handed starter Jeremy Null and reliever James Farris.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – The Cubs scored in each of the first five innings to win this one 8-2.
Tennessee – The Smokies are in sole possession of first place. They beat Chattanooga 6-1.
Myrtle Beach – Myrtle Beach took an early lead, but lost 3-2.
South Bend – The Cubs stormed out to an early lead and held on for a 6-4 win.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Javier Baez had been doing well, but he stumbled a bit last night. He finished 0 for 5 with 4 strikeouts.
- [Iowa] Christian Villanueva, on the other hand, continues to hit very well. He homered for the 4th straight game and the 7th time this season as part of his 2 for 4 night. He also doubled and walked.
- [Iowa] Rafael Lopez contributed the only 3 hit game for the Cubs. Chris Valaika added a pair of doubles.
- [Iowa] Eric Jokisch hit his first homer of the season, and he also pitched 5 solid innings. He allowed 2 runs on 6 hits and 3 walks while striking out 2.
- [Iowa] Drake Britton struck out 2 and walked one in his 3 inning relief appearance.
- [Tennessee] Felix Pena struck out 7 over 7 innings, allowing one run on just 4 hits in the process. Stephen Perakslis struck out 2 and allowed nothing as he finished the game.
- [Tennessee] Kyle Schwarber finished 2 for 4 as the DH in this one.
- [Tennessee] As a team the Smokies struck out just once the entire game. Stephen Bruno, who finished 1 for 3 and scored twice, collected that dubious honor.
- [Myrtle Beach] Pin-Chieh Chen and Chesny Young each finished with 2 hits for the Pelicans. A double from Victor Caratini was the only extra base hit.
- [Myrtle Beach] Daury Torrez struck out 6 and allowed 3 runs (2 earned) on 4 hits and 2 walks. James Pugliese and Zach Cates finished the game off without allowing any additional damage.
- [South Bend] Cael Brockmeyer doubled twice, tripled, and finished 3 for 4.
- [South Bend] Other doubles came from Gleyber Torres (1 for 4), Kevin Encarnacion (1 for 4), Jesse Hodges (1 fof 4), and Rashad Crawford (2 for 3).
- [South Bend] Yasiel Balaguert also had a 2 hit game.
- [South Bend] Pitching 3 innings of relief and striking out 5 was Brad Markey. He allowed a run on 2 hits.
- [South Bend] Trevor Clifton struck out 3 and allowed 3 runs on 5 hits over 5 innings.
- Chris Denorfia made a rehab appearance in Tennessee yesterday. He doubled, walked, and scored twice while playing left field.
- There are a number of Ernie Banks themed promotions on the Myrtle Beach website right now. Starting today the Pelicans will be wearing Banks-inspired ‘Let’s Play Two’ uniforms during home doubleheaders. Tonight is also Ernie Banks Tribute Night in Myrtle Beach. The uniforms (which are pretty cool looking) will be auctioned in the park during the season. Fortunately for those of us who live far, far away, they will also be doing some auctions online. For the next week you can bid on an unsigned uniform, or on one signed by the Pelicans team. Given who all is on that Pelicans’ roster, that might be a nice collectors’ piece in a few years.