Even though there were five games in the minors yesterday, this will be a somewhat abbreviated Daily. Catching up on Day Two of the draft, not to mention writing about it, took up most of the writing time I had last night. I’ll still cover the highest of the highlights, but feel free to scour through the box scores and call out in the comments anything I skipped.
My coverage of Day Two of the draft will be arriving a little later in the morning, just in time to whet your appetite for Day Three.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – The Cubs would prefer to forget about this one. They lost 11-3.
Tennessee – The Smokies split a double header. Game One was a 2-0 loss, but they won the second contest 7-5.
Myrtle Beach – Myrtle Beach also played a doubleheader, and they also earned a split. Game One went to the Pelicans 7-1, but they lost Game Two 5-1.
South Bend – The Cubs had the day off.
Performances of Note
- [Iowa] Not a lot went well for the Cubs on the mound yesterday, but one exception was Joe Ortiz. He slipped through 1.1 innings in scoreless fashion, allowing a hit and getting a strikeout. Blake Cooper also pitched a scoreless frame.
- [Iowa] The extra base hits in this game, all doubles, came from Arismendy Alcantara, Christian Villanueva, and Adron Chambers.
- [Tennessee] The Smokies were no-hit in the first game. Jacob Turner pitched pretty well for Tennessee in this one, though; more on that in a bit.
- [Tennessee] Game Two was started by Ryan Williams. In his second start for the Smokies he allowed a run on 4 hits and a walk over 4 innings while striking out 3.
- [Tennessee] Corey Black had a rough game as a reliever. He got one out (as a strikeout), but coughed up 3 hits, 2 walks, and a wild pitch as well.
- [Tennessee] Kyle Schwarber launched his 13th homer as part of his 2 hit game in the second contest.
- [Tennessee] Albert Almora also had a nice game. He finished Game Two 2 for 4 with a pair of doubles.
- [Myrtle Beach] Jonathan Martinez lowered his ERA to 2.76 by allowing just one run on 4 hits and a walk over 5 innings while striking out 4.
- [Myrtle Beach] The Pelicans had 7 walks in the first game, led by Victor Caratini with 3. Carlos Penalver had the only multi-hit game with 2.
- [Myrtle Beach] Chesny Young finished 2 for 3 and scored the lone run in Game Two. He also stole his 5th base.
- [Myrtle Beach] Daury Torrez pitched the complete game (6 innings) in the second contest. He finished having allowed 5 runs (4 earned) on 9 hits and 2 walks while striking out one.
- Jacob Turner made his first rehab start for Tennessee yesterday, and all in all it went pretty well. He threw 60 pitches (36 strikes) and struck out 4 over 4 innings. He gave up just 3 hits (including a home run) and walked only one. There are a lot of positives there for a first rehab start: the sixty pitches, the four strikeouts, and the one walk in particular. He will probably get a few more rehab starts for the Smokies or the I-Cubs, and hopefully we will continue to see him control his stuff well during those starts, before he is ready to head to Wrigley, but his Cubs debut could be as soon as this month. Turner, despite his experience in the majors, remains a young pitcher with the raw ingredients to be a very good one. It will be interesting to see what he can do, and what the Cubs’ coaches can do with him, when the time comes.
More From Bleacher Nation