There were only two games played in the Cubs’ farm system yesterday. Eugene and Arizona were both in action, but that was it. Iowa had a travel day, and the other three teams have hit their All-Star breaks.
The Double A Southern League All-Star Game will be shown tonight on MiLB.tv, and it will feature a few notable Cubs’ prospects. Kyle Schwarber was scheduled to be the starting catcher, but he is now in Iowa. The only other catcher on the current North Division roster is Cubs’ prospect Willson Contreras (although I think that could change), so I suspect he will get the start and catch quite a few innings. Dan Vogelbach is also a good candidate to play much of the game.
The All-Stars from the High-A Carolina League travel to Rancho Cucamonga tonight in California to take on the All Stars of California League. This game is not on MiLB.tv.
The Midwest League All-Star Game takes place today in Peoria, and it looks like it will be on MiLB.tv.
I think that is a total of fourteen potential future Cubs in action in three All-Star games tonight. Not too shabby.
Scores From Yesterday
Iowa – Iowa had the day off.
Tennessee – All-Star break.
Myrtle Beach – All-Star break.
South Bend – All-Star break.
Eugene – Eugene allowed a big inning in the eighth, and it cost them in this 8-4 loss.
Arizona – The Cubs lost this one 4-1.
Performances of Note
- [Eugene] Starter Andin Diaz only pitched 4 innings, but in those 4 innings he struck out 8. He allowed 2 runs on 4 hits and 4 walks.
- [Eugene] Jordan Brink pitched 2 innings of relief during which he struck out 6 and allowed just one hit.
- [Eugene] Dillon Maples struck out the side, all of them swinging, in the seventh inning. In the eighth, though, he gave up 2 hits and hit 2 batters to set up Everett’s big inning.
- [Eugene] Adonis Paula had the only 2 hit day for the Emeralds. A Ricardo Marcano triple was the only extra base hit.
- [Arizona] Rob Zastryzny, making a rehab appearance, struck out 4 in 4 innings on the mound while allowing a run on 3 hits and 2 walks.
- [Arizona] Dylan Cease allowed 3 runs on 2 hits and a walk in his 0.2 innings of work.
- [Arizona] The Cubs managed only 4 hits, all singles, in this one. On the good side, they struck out only 4 times.
- When Iowa takes the field today, they will be starting a home stand that stretches until July 3. During that home stands, fans will get to see Kyle Schwarber in action. In other words, go buy tickets.
- The All-Star Game for Triple A teams is coming up, and these rosters are available for fan voting. If you haven’t already, be sure to cast a few dozen ballots.
More From Bleacher Nation