The Wife and I had a lovely weekend in Chicago, thankyouverymuch, and it’s time to get back to business. Things didn’t stop over the weekend, though, so if you missed anything …
Friday, July 10
- The Cubs are rumored to be a “dark horse” in the race for top Cuban Eddy Julio Martinez.
- Jason Hammel’s MRI didn’t show anything serious in his hamstring, and he could make a start in the first turn through the rotation after the break.
- The Cubs made a series of roster moves, including DFA’ing Donn Roach.
- The Cubs and Padres have some interesting fits in trade, though James Shields still seems a stretch.
- The Cubs held down the White Sox’s offense, but couldn’t push across a run of their own.
Saturday, July 11
- Kyle Hendricks is good, and keeps getting better.
- A poll of players indicates, unsurprisingly, that Joe Maddon is loved.
- Checking in on the injured lot of Cubs, including Javier Baez and Tommy La Stella.
- The Cubs lost one, handily, to the White Sox.
Sunday, July 12
- Miguel Montero has a bum thumb.
- Luke caught up with the Cubs’ farm teams and anticipated the Futures Game.
- Luis looked at the Cubs’ offensive struggles heading into the break.
- Jake Arrieta may not be an “All-Star,” but he’s one of the best pitchers in the game. He showed it again in a dominating outing.
- Kyle Schwarber capped off a great day for the Cubs all around by taking home MVP honors in the Futures Game.