There’s but one weekend left before the Trade Deadline …
Friday, July 17
- As Luke put it: never trust a chicken coaching first base.
- Tsuyoshi Wada and Rafael Soriano reached AAA and look ready to come to the Cubs.
- Would you like to see the Cubs in the one-game Wild Card playoff … against the Cardinals?
- Kyle Schwarber arrived for round two.
- Michael looked at the Braves as sellers this deadline.
- Chris Coghlan on hitting, John Baker on Periscope.
- There’s a big fantasy contest going today, and you can win a signed Jorge Soler bat (and $100,000).
- Many rumors from the latest Lukewarm Stove.
- The Cubs lost it late to the Braves.
Saturday, July 18
- The loss to the Braves was frustrating, but not as frustrating as you might have thought.
- Having made his starting debut behind the plate, Kyle Schwarber’s catching came in for praise.
- In advance of his arrival, I wondered how the Cubs would maneuver Rafael Soriano onto the roster.
- The Cubs signed a back-up, back-up catcher.
- Michael’s latest look at the possible trade partners for the Cubs was among the best fits: the Oakland A’s.
- The pitching has been great, but make no mistake, the Cubs do need to add another starter.
- The Cubs shut out the Braves, and Jon Lester took a surprise no-hitter into the 8th.
Sunday, July 19
- Jon Lester has been so good this year, and many haven’t noticed.
- Luke wrote about the top of the Cubs’ farm system, what with all of the graduations.
- The big rumor of the weekend: the Cubs are still talking to the Phillies about Cole Hamels, according to Ken Rosenthal.
- Luis wrote about the importance of pitch-framing to the Cubs (and other teams).
- I put together my lineup for today’s big fantasy contest, and immediately had to make a change.
- The Cubs beat the Braves 4-1 behind Jake Arrieta’s dominance and took the series from the Braves.
- The Cubs closed out the weekend by making the tough decision to DFA Edwin Jackson to make room for Rafael Soriano, who arrives today.