That, my friends, was a good weekend. Did you miss any of it?
Friday, August 7
- Joe Maddon managed the Giants series like it was the playoffs. Which, well, it was pretty close to being.
- It doesn’t sound like Javier Baez will be up too soon, even as he is expected to play multiple positions at Iowa.
- Luis wrote about Travis Wood, the reliever. He’s been good.
- Miguel Montero returned to the Cubs on Friday. Coincidentally, I wondered whether the ability to rotate him a little more – with Kyle Schwarber and David Ross – will help the bat.
- Friday’s biggest news was Starlin Castro being removed from the regular lineup.
- The Cubs got solid outing from Jon Lester and beat the Giants again.
Saturday, August 8
- I looked at the new defensive alignment and at Addison Russell at shortstop.
- A stat about Kyle Schwarber that blew my mind.
- There are deals happening around baseball right now, and the Cubs have been working the waiver wire.
- The Cubs put David Ross on the bereavement list and replaced him on the roster with Matt Szczur.
- Luis talked about Chris Coghlan’s apparent new role as a super utility man.
- The Cubs held on to beat the Giants 8-6 before a packed house at Wrigley.
Sunday, August 9
- Looking back on the previous day’s win, I particularly enjoyed Matt Cain’s reaction when he gave up an 0-2 bomb to Kris Bryant.
- The Sunday Bullets looked at, among other things, how the series against the Giants has impacted each team in opposing ways.
- Luke looked around the Cubs’ farm system and specifically focused on Albert Almora, who’s been hot with the bat.
- Luis checked in on how pitcher-batting-eighth has been working out for the Cubs of late.
- And the Cubs capped off the weekend by capping off the four-game sweep over the Giants.
More From Bleacher Nation