The minor league playoffs are underway, and the only group in action for the Cubs this season are the Myrtle Beach Pelicans. They faced the second half winner of the Southern Division, Winston-Salem, on the road yesterday evening, but it was the home team that came away the winner. Myrtle Beach lost 4-2.
Performances of Note
- Duane Underwood pitched 6 innings in this one, and he gave up all four Winston-Salem runs (three of them in the first inning). He finished with a line of 4 runs on 7 hits (including 2 home runs) over 6 innings while striking out 3.
- Both of the home runs came in the first inning, and they came back to back with two outs.
- Josh Conway pitched a scoreless seventh inning despite allowing 2 hits, and James Farris gave up a hit and a walk in a scoreless eighth while striking out a pair.
- Jeffrey Baez had the only multi-hit game for the Pelicans, finishing 2 for 3 with a double. He also cut down a runner at third from left field.
- The first hit of the playoffs for 18-year-old Gleyber Torres was a solo home run. He finished 1 for 3.
The rest of this best of three first round series will take place in Myrtle Beach, starting tonight at 7:05 PM ET. The Pelicans send reigning Carolina League Pitcher of the Week Brad Markey, the 5’11” right hander who emerged as a very good starter in the second half of the season and has posted an ERA of just 1.15 for the Pelicans, to the mound against Winston-Salem’s Yency Almonte, a 6’3″ right hander who has allowed just one home run in 44.2 innings of High A while compiling an era of 2.42. If Myrtle Beach wins this one, the decisive Game Three will be in Myrtle Beach Friday evening. Both games can be watched on MiLB.tv.