Things started out promising for the Cubs on Friday, but trended downward by Saturday and Sunday.
Friday, September 11
- (OK, this first one was on Thursday, but it got buried by news – let’s talk about Dexter Fowler and the 2016 Cubs.)
- Don’t forget to keep an eye on managerial openings around the league, because it could impact the Cubs.
- Kyle Schwarber won an award.
- The Cubs have the PCL’s pitcher of the year.
- Jorge Soler’s oblique is healed enough for him to play in the minors.
- The latest installment of the Limited Range podcast.
- The Cubs beat the Phillies in the first game of the doubleheader behind another strong Jake Arrieta outing.
- The Cubs took out the Phillies in the night cap, including this massive homer by Kyle Schwarber.
Saturday, September 12
- We should reflect on Kyle Schwarber’s two-homer game, and his wipeout on the basepaths. It was fun and funny.
- Scoreboard Watching on Saturday was nice.
- Jake Arrieta has just been good in the second half – he’s been among the best ever.
- The Myrtle Beach Pelicans moved on to the Carolina League championship.
- Kris Bryant’s homer on Friday was a massive bomb despite such an easy swing.
- The Cubs battled back after giving up a huge inning late … but then lost anyway.
Sunday, September 13
- Coming into Sunday, the Cardinals were mired in a lengthy slump.
- Sunday’s Bullets looked at, among other things, the perception problem of a good team’s losses.
- Trevor Cahill and Travis Wood were both fantastic in long relief outings on Saturday, which was worth discussing, as is their future.
- Luis wrote about how impressive this year’s team is, given its youth. Historically impressive.
- The Cubs dropped the finale to the Phillies, once again tying the game late only to immediately let it go.
More From Bleacher Nation