It’s rare that I have to do a post early in the morning on a Monday before I can even get to the Weekend Catch-Up, but Winter Meetings week is a rare thing. Thus, if you’re just waking up, the Cubs and Rays are reportedly talking about a Javier Baez trade.
And now there’s so much more else to catch up on …
Friday, December 4
- The weekend opened tamely enough, with word of the Cubs playing in Las Vegas this Spring.
- Much of the activity seemed like it was waiting on Zack Greinke to pull the trigger on a deal, which he eventually did. With the Diamondbacks. That was a shock, to say the least.
- Meanwhile, Jeff Samardzija’s price tag climbed, and the Cubs’ interest in John Lackey heated up. So, you know, they signed him.
- Luke took a look at Billy McKinney’s great season.
- Javy Baez is expected to see some time in center field in winter ball.
- The Cubs nabbed another reliever off the waiver wire.
- It’s a strategy the Cubs have employed a ton already this offseason, and it worked well last year.
Saturday, December 5
- In honor of the John Lackey signing, I remembered how Jon Lester got his first big league hit off of his friend.
- The Marlins went and did it, hiring Barry Bonds as their new hitting coach.
- Theo Epstein spoke about a huge range of important topics.
- The Giants lost out on Zack Greinke, so they ponied up big for Jeff Samardzija.
- The Cubs were connected to yet another starter this weekend, with Wei-Yin Chen getting the treatment.
- And then the strange rumor of the weekend … the Cubs are targeting a top closer in trade?
Sunday, December 6
- Outfielder Alex Gordon remains on the Cubs’ radar.
- A Lukewarm Stove with a ton of additional rumors.
- Luis looked at how pitchers like John Lackey have pitched in their late-30s.
- Darren O’Day probably re-signed with the Orioles, but it got a little weird.
- The Cubs are reportedly among the three teams showing the most interest in Fernando Rodney.
- The Dodgers and Reds seem to be in serious talks about an Aroldis Chapman trade.
- And the weekend closed down with a Winter Meetings eve take, including tons more rumors and news. Because it’s that time of year.