This past weekend, from which you very well may have checked out, given Friday’s holiday, was not especially busy. But with folks traveling before and after the holiday, I figured it would still be worth doing one of these catch-ups, and simply extending things back a little further. Plus, Wednesday was actually pretty active, so there was a lot then that you may have missed.
Wednesday, December 23
- The Cubs pulled some starters relatively early throughout the year in 2015, and I have some thoughts on what you’ll see in that regard in 2016.
- The top projected rotation for 2016 in baseball? Right now, it’s actually the Cubs.
- We took a look at Dexter Fowler’s market, and the remote chance he could wind up back with the Cubs.
- The Cubs made a series of roster moves, including releasing Brendan Ryan, losing Yoervis Medina to the Pirates, and re-claiming Edgar Olmos off of waivers.
- The Cubs also inked a couple more players to minor league deals, adding to their huge stable of depth bullpen options.
- The Pirates picked up a new platoon first baseman in John Jaso, although first base will be largely new to him.
- Wednesday closed down with the latest from the Lukewarm Stove, including more on Ender Inciarte, Jorge Soler, the Cardinals’ outfield and more.
Thursday, December 24
- Jason Heyward clarified his comments about why he preferred the Cubs over the Cardinals, and Adam Wainwright shared his own thoughts on why Heyward left.
- A smattering of interesting things in the Bullets on Thursday, including Mike Leake’s deal, Joc Pederson’s extreme year, and the Mets’ money problems.
- The Nationals agreed to a three-year deal with Daniel Murphy.
- BN celebrated its seventh anniversary.
Friday, December 25
- I took the day off. I am OK with it.
Saturday, December 26
- The Pirates’ bullpen has quietly been historically good the last three years – not just good, historically good – and that might be changing soon.
- Lazarito – the big-time Cuban prospect – is working out publicly on January 8, and he’s going to move the market.
Sunday, December 27
- A bombshell report – though of questionable sourcing – purported to tie Ryan Howard, Ryan Zimmerman, Taylor Teagarden, and Peyton Manning, among others, to PEDs.
- Javy Baez had a largely successful, and very trying, year in 2015 – lots on that, his sacrifice of power for contact, and much more in the Bullets.