The Cubs played four games this weekend, winning two and tying one. You’re done caring about their record, right?
Otherwise, catch up on what you may have missed …
Friday, March 11
- The Bullets on Friday got into, among other things, Jon Lester’s continued throwing issues.
- A variety of injury updates, though the Cubs have mostly been healthy this Spring (punches through wood).
- The Cubs have a plan to save some Jake Arrieta bullets, and he’s on board with it.
- Many MLBits, including Hall of Famer Goose Gossage expressing a whole lot of ill-placed anger.
- Lots of questions and answers (and disputes about bar songs) in Michael’s latest Ask Away.
- The Cubs beat the Reds 7-4.
- The Pirates picked up David Freese for cheap, and it’s a really solid move for them.
Saturday, March 12
- In Friday’s game, Dan Vogelbach took one deep and out to center.
- Joe Maddon loves nerds, and we love him, too.
- Luis wrote about two of the Cubs’ “backups,” who are among the best in baseball.
- The Cubs stomped the White Sox at Sloan Park, which is nice to type, Spring Training or not.
Sunday, March 13
- The Cubs’ second game on Saturday didn’t finish until after midnight in my neck of the woods, and it was a miserable ending.
- There were some exceptional defensive highlights from the game, too.
- Michael took a deep dive on Kyle Schwarber’s defense in left field, and the reasonable expectations therefor.
- Kyle Hendricks was fantastic, but the Cubs lost a late lead and tied the A’s.
- Of particular note from the game, though, was another huge performance from Jeimer Candelario.