We’re going have plenty of time to discuss the Kyle Schwarber injury and what it means to the Cubs, so I’m not going to get into here. In fact, I think we could use a distraction from that unfortunate event. Something different. Something … novel.
Something like a giant, neon green bear-sasquatch thingy running for Mayor of Eugene, Oregon. Yep, Sluggo’s running:
— Ric Peavyhouse (@RPeavyhouse) March 11, 2016
Sluggo, in case you’ve forgotten, is the thoroughly awesome mascot of the Short Season A Eugene Emeralds, the Cubs’ affiliate in the Northwest League.
And I honestly have no idea where to go with this. So, before it gets any more weird, I should probably move on.
Somewhere here is an awesome TV series, but I’m not writing it. Yesterday’s games, on the other hand, those I will write about.
- Paul Blackburn: 5 IP, 1 R, 5 H, 1 K
- Michael Jensen: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Billy McKinney: 2 for 4, 2B
- Bijan Rademacher: 1 for 3, 2B
- Zach Hedges: 5.1 IP, 4 R (2 ER), 5 H, 1 BB, 6 K
- Ryan McNeil: 2.1 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 1 K
- Rashad Crawford: 2 for 4, 1 BB, 2 CS
- David Bote: 2 for 4, 2 2B
- Charcer Burks: 3 for 4, 3B, HR. That’ll show me for leaving him off the Top 40.
- Justin Steele: 3.2 IP, 4 R (0 ER), 6 H, 3 BB, 3 K
- Bryant Flete: 2 for 3, 3B
- Matt Rose: 1 for 2, BB
- Donnie Dewees: 0 for 3, BB, SB
- Ok, so I didn’t exactly read the Eugene city charter. I downloaded and Cntl-F’d my way through all forty something appearances of the word ‘Mayor’. Close enough.
- The stacked Smokies pitching staff sends another starter you may want to watch to the mound tonight. This time it is Brad Markey, a guy who had a second half so good that if the season had lasted a few more weeks he might have wrested Organizational Pitcher of the Year honors from Williams in 2015.
- Myrtle Beach is also sending a pretty interesting pitching prospect to the mound tonight. Trevor Clifton has a high ceiling, but we need to see how his secondary pitches develop.
- Normally when the Cubs farm system gets swept like it did yesterday we break out the sad kittens staring out a rainy window and be sad. But, in my opinion, Cubs-dom is too sad right now. And so I turned to Sluggo, the hero we need.
- Who, by the way, has an awesome campaign poster.
My campaign manager is letting me release one of our new campaign posters! What do you all think? pic.twitter.com/Eg6MW1KxxH
— Sluggo (@SluggoEmeralds) April 8, 2016
More From Bleacher Nation