You can’t pitch like Jake Arrieta. Sorry, but you can’t. No one can.
But if you go to the Iowa Cubs home game on Monday night, you can (sort of) look like him. Monday is Jake Arrieta Beanie Beard Night at Principal Park, and I suspect those tickets are going to start selling very quickly now that Arrieta has picked up his second no hitter.
All you have to do is be one of the first 500 fans, and you too can (sort of) look as stylishly intimidating as Arrieta himself.
Is this a good time to remind you that Jake Arrieta Beanie Beard Night is Monday at Principal Park? pic.twitter.com/DHcryfjOwI
— Iowa Cubs (@IowaCubs) April 22, 2016
In case you were wondering, this promotion was planned long before Arrieta no-hit the Reds, but the timing really couldn’t have been better.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Suspended due to rain: Iowa 2, New Orleans 1, 7th inning. Game will resume today.
The Cubs had just taken the lead when the rain put a temporary stop to this one. Even though it isn’t finished, we’ll go ahead and pull some numbers.
- Pierce Johnson: 5 IP, 1 R, 6 H, 1 BB, 6 K
- Giovanni Soto: 1 IP, 1 H
- Ryan Kalish: 3 for 3, SB
- Jen-Ho Tseng: 5 IP, 7 R, 7 H, 3 BB, 3 K, 2 HR
- James Pugliese: 3 IP, 1 R, 1 H, 2 BB, 1 K
- Josh Conway: 1 IP, 1 K
- Taylor Davis: 2 for 2
- Trevor Clifton: 5.1 IP, 2 R (1 ER), 3 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Jose Rosario: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Yasiel Balaguert: 3 for 4, BB, HR. That homer was the game winner.
- Jason Vosler: 2 for 4
- Shawon Dunston Jr.: 2 for 4, 2B, 3B
- Charcer Burks: 1 for 4, 2B, BB
- Gleyber Torres: 0 for 4, BB, SB
- Ryan Kellogg: 6 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 1 BB, 3 K. Kellogg has potential, and he’s off to a good start. We’ll keep watching him.
- Greyfer Eregua: 1.2 IP, 2 K
- Eddy Martinez: 2 for 4, 2B, HR
- Daniel Spingola: 1 for 4, 2B, SB
- Bryant Flete: 3 for 4, 2B
- Donnie Dewees: 0 for 4, SB
- Even though they had seven hits, Tennessee had trouble scoring in part because they had no walks and no extra base hits.
- Erick Leal takes the mound in Myrtle Beach tonight. He quietly had a good season last year, and he’s quietly done the same so far this year. It is also Star Wars night for the Pelicans, and that promises to be all kinds of entertaining.
- You want to see Balaguert’s walk off homer? Of course you do!
And how about some South Bend Cubs’ highlights as well? The 1:10 mark has the Martinez homer, but stay tuned right after that for a nice catch by Dewees:
And just because we can, how about Munenori “Jake Arrieta” Kawasaki: