The Iowa Cubs are still under .500 with a record of 9-11, but they have a two game winning streak are sitting in third place. Omaha leads Iowa by four games, and Oklahoma City is over the Cubs by two and a half. This week, though, the Cubs could rearrange those standings dramatically. They play a doubleheader with Colorado Springs today, then head to Nashville for four before traveling to first place Omaha. Nashville is just 4-8 at home, so the Cubs have a chance to pack on a few wins.
Tennessee is a game over .500, but two and a half games out of first place. They are currently in third place. Games today and tomorrow wrap up their series in Biloxi, and then they return home for five against Mississippi. They have an off day on Tuesday; that is their last off day until May 24.
The second place Pelicans are right at .500 (11-11) despite losing their last two games. They trail a loaded Salem team by three and a half. The Pelicans have one more with Salem (today), and then head north to face Winston-Salem and Wilmington.
Despite playing excellent baseball lately, the South Bend Cubs are also only in second place with a 13-9 record. Lake County leads division by two games over the Cubs and Lansing. The Cubs have proven to be a very good home team so far this year, and that bodes well for this week. The wrap up a series in Cedar Rapids today, then come back to Indiana to face Wisconsin and Beloit. After that the schedule gets rough; after May 7, the Cubs do not return home until May 24.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa was rained out.
- Paul Blackburn: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 4 K. His ERA is now 0.29. No typo.
- Josh Conway: 1 IP, 2 BB, 2 K
- Mark Zagunis: 2 for 4
- Chesny Young: 1 for 4, SB
- Adbert Alzolay: 5 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- Craig Brooks: 1 IP, 3 BB, 3 K
- Casey Bloomquist: 3 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Donnie Dewees: 3 for 5, 2B, SB
- Daniel Spingola: 2 for 4, BB, CS
- Eloy Jimenez: 2 for 4, BB
- Eddy Martinez: 2 for 5, 2B
- Not to be overlooked in South Bend box score is the work done by Casey Bloomquist. While he did not make the Top 40, he was one of the last pitchers to be removed from consideration. I think his future is out of the pen, but he has the potential to be a fast moving strikeout artist in that role.
- Over at MiLB.com there is an interesting look at minor league stadium building. Barring something unexpected, next year will be the first year since 1980 in which no new minor league parks opened. That’s a fairly impressive flow of capital being directed into minor league baseball in all corners of the country.
- Some you have definitely been voting in the Minor League Food Fight, and Iowa’s Perfect Game Burger is up to Number 10 on the leaderboard. South Bend and Tennessee check in somewhere in the thirties, which is good, but Myrtle Beach is languishing down at 66. I’m thinking the celery is weighing down an otherwise tasty looking option. At least they are ahead of the Peanut Butter and Jelly and Bacon Hot Dog. Yes, that’s a thing. And it is exactly what it sounds like. I don’t get it either.
- Today is the last day for free shipping at the BN store on all orders. Use code WOOSHIP to get the deal.