With Jason Heyward potentially missing a few games due to a sore wrist, and Matt Szczur coming off the field last night with a hamstring issue, it makes sense that the Cubs might look to Iowa for some outfield insurance.
There is one problem with that. There are no outfielders in Iowa on the 40-man roster, and the 40-man roster is full. Moving Christian Villanueva to the 60-day DL could open up a slot, but short of that move or one like it, there are no outfield reinforcements in Iowa.
But that might be ok. The Cubs can still send Dexter Fowler and Jorge Soler into the grass, and then they have their pick of Kris Bryant, Ben Zobrist, or Javier Baez to join them.
That means if the Cubs do need to send an outfielder to the DL, the most likely guy to be called up might be Munenori Kawasaki.
- Pierce Johnson: 3 IP, 4 R, 4 H, 3 K
- Felix Pena: 2 IP, 1 BB, 4 K
- Willson Contreras: 1 for 4, HR. That was the first of the season for Contreras.
- Arismendy Alcantara: 2 for 3, BB
- Dan Vogelbach: 1 for 3, BB
- Tyler Skulina: 5 IP, 3 R, 5 H, 3 BB, 2 K
- Billy McKinney: 1 fo 2, BB, SB
- Carlos Penalver: 1 for 2, BB, 3B
- Jen-Ho Tseng: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 K Game Two
- Brad Markey: 2.2 IP, 1 R, 1 H Game Two
- Victor Caratini: 2 for 3 Game Two
- Mark Zagunis: 1 for 2, HR Game Two
- Kelly Dugan: 1 for 2, HR. Pinch hit home run in Game Two.
- Jake Stinnett: 5 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- David Berg: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 K
- Yasiel Balguert: 1 for 5, HR
- Ian Happ: 1 for 4, 2B, BB
- Cael Brockmeyer, 1 for 5, 2B
- Jason Vosler, 2 for 4, 2B
- Carson Sands: 6 IP, 3 H, 3 H, 4 K
- Preston Morrison: 3 IP, 1 H, 5 K
- Carlos Sepulveda: 1 for 4, 2B
- Eloy Jimenez: 2 for 4, 2B, SB
- Jesse Hodges, 2 for 3
- Tseng left his start for Tennessee in the third inning with what sounded like an injury of some kind, but I don’t have any further details yet.
- You may have noticed that the player name links are missing again. That is because I am typing on the road this week (not for baseball reasons, unfortunately), and my road setup doesn’t support the automatic linking script I use to add the links. I’ll return home this weekend, and the links will probably reappear shortly thereafter.