Iowa’s offense took center stage again yesterday with a three home run, thirteen run performance, but that is not the only pretty good offense in the Cubs’ farm system.
South Bend leads the Midwest League in team batting average (.272), is second in both on base percentage (.343) and slugging percentage (.372), is second in doubles (53), and third in overall hits (242). They are also dead last in team strikeouts with just 181.
In other words, the South Bend Cubs have a lot of hitters who understand the strike zone, are good at getting on base, and can make quite a bit of hard contact. That should be no surprise to anyone; that is exactly the sort of hitter the Cubs have focused on drafting in recent seasons.
- Drew Rucinski: 5.1 IP, 6 R, 12 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Carl Edwards Jr.: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 K
- C.J. Riefenhauser: 1 IP, 2 K
- John Andreoli: 2 for 5, HR, SB
- Shane Victorino: 1 for 4, 2B. This was his season debut.
- Albert Almora: 2 for 6
- Willson Contreras: 2 for 5, HR
- Arismendy Alcantara: 3 for 5, 3B, SB
- Kristopher Negron: 3 for 4, HR, BB
- Paul Blackburn: 7 IP, 3 R (0 ER), 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K. The ERA is down to 0.24.
- Jacob Hannemann: 2 for 3, BB
- Jeimer Candelario: 1 for 4, 2B
- Mark Zagunis: 2 for 4, 2B
- Victor Caratini: 2 for 3
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The Pelicans were rained out.
- Adbert Alzolay: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 2 K.
- James Norwood: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 4 K
- P.J. Higgins: 2 for 4, 2B
- Eddy Martinez: 2 for 4, HR
- Jesse Hodges: 2 for 3
- Bryant Flete 2 for 3, 2B
- Curious what the walk up songs are for the Iowa Cubs? A partial list can be found on Iowa’s website here. There are a lot of songs (and artists for that matter) I am not familiar with on this list. Not by name anyway. But maybe that explains why I’ll hear an odd snippet of music in a store and suddenly expect to see a particular player stroll through the door with his bat in hand.
- The Smokies will be auctioning off jerseys in the theme of the classic board game Operation at today’s game. This is one of the rare times when minor league baseball memorabilia and classic board game collectors items collide; if that describes you, you might check out the Milb Auctions over the next few days. Typically these auctions are in-park only, but you might get lucky. And if you are in the park, sometimes these unusual jersey silent auctions are a good way to score some signed items at a lower than normal price.
- You can see Eddy Julio Martinez’s homer in this highlights package from the South Bend game, by the way (around the 3:20 mark), as well as a nice catch in left from Eloy Jimenez before that:
More From Bleacher Nation