It had been five days since Vogelbach last launched a baseball out of a ballpark. That apparently was a little too long, so Iowa’s left-handed slugger made up for some lost time with two homer yesterday. The first was a three run shot as part of a five run first inning for the Cubs, and the second was a solo drive in the fourth. He now has five on the season. You can watch the second of the homers down below.
Including those two homers, Vogelbach is now hitting .337/.417/.547. His strikeout rate is somewhat high at around 27% (trending down), but his walk rate is north of 10%, and that is excellent. An OPS of .964 is pretty nice as well.
Remember, although the Pacific Coast League, overall, is batter-friendly, the I-Cubs’ home park is not necessarily.
- Jake Buchanan: 7 IP, 3 R, 8 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Armando Rivero: 1 IP, 2 BB, 2 K
- Carl Edwards Jr.: 1 IP, 1 H, 3 K
- John Andreoli: 3 for 5
- Shane Victorino: 2 for 5, 2B
- Willson Contreras: 1 for 3, 2 BB, SB
- Taylor Davis: 2 for 5, 2B
- Dan Vogelbach: 2 for 4, 2 HR
- Rob Zastryzny: 7 IP, 1 R, 5 H, 3 BB, 2 K
- Josh Conway: 1.1 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Jacob Hannemann: 1 for 3, 3B
- Mark Zagunis: 1 for 4, 2B
- Victor Caratini: 2 for 3, 2B, SB
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The Pelicans had the day off.
Low A: South Bend Cubs
The Cubs were rained out.
- It looks like South Bend will be on MiLB.tv in Dayton for the next few days, and those might be games worth checking out. South Bend is playing very good baseball, and Dayton has lost twenty four games.
- David Berg has been promoted to Tennessee and made his Double A debut in this game. It lasted two pitches. He was brought in with runners on first and second and one out in the ninth of a tie game probably to try to get a ground ball for an inning ending double play. Given the rate at which Berg can induce grounders, that was a pretty good plan. It just so happens he left a pitch where the first batter he faced could get a hold of it for the game winning hit.
- The second of Vogelbach’s homers was an opposite-field slapper, which shows how much natural power he has: