Yesterday Trevor Clifton pitched his third straight very good game, striking out seven in five and a third scoreless innings for the Pelicans. That means Clifton, in his last three starts, has: 16.1 IP, 2 R, 13 H, 4 BB, 25 K. That is about as good as we could hope to see from this 21-year-old right hander, and it is pretty much exactly what we wanted to see before the season started.
If he keeps this up for a few more weeks, it isn’t impossible the Cubs will challenge him with a mid-season promotion to Tennessee, but I don’t expect that soon. For now we’ll watch to see if the hitters in the league adjust to Clifton.
I should also mention that Myrtle Beach has a pretty good home video feed. If you haven’t watched him pitch yet, you may want to add that to your to do list.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa had the day off.
- Brad Markey: 7 IP, 5 R (2 ER), 6 H, 2 BB, 3 K
- Josh Conway: 2 IP, 1 BB, 3 K
- Mark Zagunis: 4 for 4, 2B
- Billy McKinney: 1 for 3, BB
- Zach Hedges: 1.2 IP, 7 R (5 ER), 7 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- James Pugliese: 3.1 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 3 K
- Daury Torrez: 2 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Trevor Clifton: 5.1 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 7 K. Game Two.
- Jose Rosario: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K. Game Two.
- Rashad Crawford: 3 for 4, 2B, SB.
- Yasiel Balaguert: 1 for 4, HR. Balaguert’s sixth homer was a grand slam.
- Jeffrey Baez: 2 for 4, SB.
- Daniel Lockhart: 3 for 3
- Rashad Crawford: 2 for 3, 2 2B. Game Two.
- Ian Happ: 0 for 1, 2 BB. SB. Game Two.
- Yasiel Balaguert: 0 for 2, BB, SB. Game Two.
- Daniel Lockhart: 1 for 3, HR. Game Two.
- Justin Steele: 6 IP, 5 R (3 ER), 4 H, 4 BB, 10 K
- Scott Effross: 1 IP, 2 K
- Andrew Ely: 1 for 4, BB
- Donnie Dewees: 1 for 4, BB
- Eloy Jimenez: 4 for 5, SB
- Eddy Martinez: 1 for 4, BB
- The Myrtle Beach Pelicans load a highlight video to YouTube after every home game, and that makes their channel worth subscribing to. The video from yesterday, including some good Clifton pitches and the Balaguert grand slam, is below.
More From Bleacher Nation