There were all kinds of good stories in the organization yesterday.
Iowa broke their lengthy losing streak and Rob Zastryzny made a very nice Triple A debut in the process. Oh, and Contreras homered, Almora doubled, and Alcantara produced another multi-hit game. Iowa had a good day.
Myrtle Beach won a marathon on the road thanks to a lot of very good innings from their bullpen. Their offense was more or less provided by their double play combo of Torres and Happ, and that’s good news for Cubs fans as well.
And then we have South Bend. Not only did the Cubs extend their winning streak, they did it with homers from Jimenez (again), Alamo (again), and a team total of just two strikeouts against eight hits.
Unfortunately, the Tennessee Smokies had the day off. Given how things went for the rest of the organization, it must of have been one of the great off days of all time.
- Rob Zastryzny: 7 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 3 BB, 5 K
- Gerardo Concepcion: 1 IP, 1 K
- Spencer Patton: 1 IP, 1 R, 2 H. His ERA is 0.00 no longer. O.56 is still pretty good.
- Willson Contreras: 1 for 4, HR, BB. Five homers for Contreras.
- Albert Almora: 2 for 4, 2B
- Dan Vogelbach: 1 for 2, 2 BB
- Arismendy Alcantara: 2 for 4, 2B
- Kristopher Negron: 2 for 4
- Rob Zastryzny: 1 for 2, 2B
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee had the day off.
- Trevor Clifton: 5.2 IP, 4 H, 3 BB, 4 K. The strikeouts were down in this start, but his scoreless streak continues.
- Daury Torrez: 3.1 IP, 2 H, BB
- James Farris: 3 IP, 1 H, 3 K
- Ryan McNeil: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K
- Gleyber Torres: 2 for 6, 2B
- Ian Happ: 3 for 6, HR. That’s five homers for Happ.
- Justin Steele: 5.2 IP, 3 R, 4 H, 5 BB, 1 K.
- Kyle Miller: 2.1 IP, 3 K
- Andrew Ely: 2 for 3, 2 2B, BB, SB
- Eloy Jimenez: 1 for 4, HR
- Eddy Martinez: 2 for 4, 2B
- Tyler Alamo: 1 for 4, HR. His second homer in two days is also his second career homer.
- This was Zastryzny’s first start in Triple A, and all in all it was a pretty effective one. He officially threw just 79 pitches over his 7 innings of work, 47 for strikes, and generated 9 ground ball outs as opposed to just one in the air. And he doubled, scored, and defensively was the starting point for one Iowa’s three double plays.
- So, this is a real thing. And either those credential are photoshopped, or this is even weirder than it looks. It is already pretty weird.
Parker now an ordained minister & will perform official marriages at game Thurs. 2 for $20 tix w/ marriage license! pic.twitter.com/sRkhpOd02x
— Fresno Tacos (@FresnoGrizzlies) May 24, 2016
Up first are two minutes of Iowa’s win over El Paso:
And then we have almost three minutes from Myrtle Beach’s marathon win: