Not only did Iowa’s loss break their nine game winning streak, Willson Contreras finished with just two singles. That means he did not collect an extra base hit, and that means his streak of games with an extra base hit comes to an end at a ridiculous ten games.
On the other hand, the singles are hits, so his overall hitting streak continues. That one is up to fourteen games.
All of that fades into the back ground, though, given that Contreras left yesterday’s game early with an injury. A little more on that in a bit. (UPDATE: Good news here.)
Also of note from Iowa, if you missed it: there’s a chance Albert Almora could be coming up to the big leagues.
- Drew Rucinski: 5.2 IP, 3 R (2 ER), 7 H, 3 BB, 5 K
- Gerardo Concepcion: 1 IP, 2 R, 1 H, 3 BB, 1 K. That’s a lot of walks for this year’s Concepcion.
- Giovanni Soto: 1.2 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 4 BB, 1 K
- Willson Contreras: 2 for 2, BB
- Dan Vogelbach: 1 for 3, HR. His next homer is his tenth.
- Duane Underwood: 4.2 IP, 3 R, 4 H, 5 BB, 6 K.
- James Farris: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 K. This was his 2016 Tennessee debut.
- Chesny Young: 1 for 4, 2B, BB
- Jeimer Candelario: 1 for 4, 3B, BB
- Billy McKinney: 1 for 4, 2B
- Cael Brockmeyer: 2 for 4
- Bijan Rademacher: 1 for 2, 2 BB
- Duane Underwood: 1 for 2, 2B
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The Pelicans were rained out.
Low A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend had the day off.
- What does it take to be named the Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week? In the case of Jake Buchanan, it took thirteen scoreless innings over two starts. We might need to add Buchanan to the list of potential spot starters for Chicago. For more on Buchanan, you can check here. He’s got a 4.22 ERA and 3.93 FIP in nine starts at Iowa.
- Baseball Prospectus conducted an interview with the Cubs’ Jason McLeod that touched on, among other things, how the Cubs are preparing for their 104th overall pick in the June draft in a few days. It is well worth a read.
- A rabbit decided to try out for the Iowa Cubs yesterday, but unfortunately chose to do so during the game. His audition was not a success.
- Sigh. Cringe. Weep. Contreras was apparently injured yesterday. Play stopped, the trainer came out, and Contreras left the game. We will have an update shortly. (UPDATE is here, and it’s good!)
More From Bleacher Nation