There is going to be plenty to talk about on the draft side of things today, so we’ll keep the intro to the daily nice and short.
With the exception of South Bend, yesterday was a pretty miserable day in the Cubs’ farm system. There aren’t even any home runs to get excited about. But that’s baseball. One day the organization nearly gets swept, and the next day everyone wins by at least a dozen runs (hint, hint).
On to the highlights. Well, the lights at least. Some of them are sort of high. The middlinglights? That works.
- Jake Buchanan: 4 IP, 7 R, 12 H, 5 K. He had back to back good starts before this one.
- Corey Black: 1 IP, 1 K. A no walk inning from Black definitely counts as a good thing.
- Spencer Patton: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Willson Contreras: 3 for 4, 2B. The hitting streak is at 16 games.
- Matt Murton: 1 for 4, 2B
- Brad Markey: 6 IP, 2 R (1 ER), 3 H, 3 BB, 1 K
- Chesny Young: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Billy McKinney: 2 for 4, 2B
- Ben Carhart: 2 for 4
- Daniel Lockhart: 1 for 3, 2B
- Jonathan Martinez: 4 IP, 6 R (5 ER), 6 H, 3 BB, 3 K
- James Pugliese: 3 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 3 K
- Rashad Crawford: 2 for 5, 2B
- Jeffrey Baez: 2 for 4
- Erick Castillo: 2 for 4
- Preston Morrison: 5.1 IP, 3 R, 5 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Kyle Twomey: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Craig Brooks: 1.2 IP, 1 BB, 1 K
- Carlos Sepulveda: 2 for 4, 2B, BB
- P.J. Higgins: 2 for 5
- Eloy Jimenez: 1 for 5, 2B
- Eddy Martinez: 3 for 4
- Tyler Alamo: 2 for 3, BB
- Matt Rose has been moved from South Bend to Mesa, and in return the Cubs sent Roberto Caro to Indiana. Caro, 22, is a switch hitting outfielder who has been in the organization since 2012. Signed as an international free agent, 2015 was his first year in the United States. He hit .255/.351/.347 for Mesa last summer, and also had a short stay in Triple A as an emergency bench guy.
- Also on the move yesterday was left-handed hitting outfielder Daniel Spingola. Spingola had a very nice stay in South Bend, hitting .309/.377/.368 with four steals over 153 plate appearances. He is now playing for Myrtle Beach, filling the outfield slot vacated when Dunston was traded to the Giants organization.
- Outfielder Alex Bautista has been transferred from Eugene to Iowa. I suspect Bautista, who was just drafted last year, is only in Iowa for a short period of time, but he should see some playing time while there. With Eugene last year he posted an OPS of .664 in just over one hundred trips to the plate. Also impacting Iowa, Jean Machi and Brandon Gomes were both released.
- There actually was a second team in the organization that won yesterday. The DSL Cubs 1 earned their first win of the season and are now 1-5. The DSL Cubs 2, on the other hand, are 3-3.
- Iowa is looking good in the Triple A All Star voting. With two weeks to go, Contreras, Vogelbach, Almora, and Patton are all in line to make the team. Edwards Jr, Kawasaki, and Negron are in the top five for their positions, as is former Cub Alcantara.
— Triple-A Baseball (@TripleABaseball) June 9, 2016