The Bullets will be a little short this morning, as I’m taking the kiddos on a hike for Father’s Day. I hope you’re enjoying your day, too, and/or showing some love for the fathers in your life.
Speaking of which, I enjoyed this read on fathers in this era.
- With their win last night, the Cubs are now a season-high 26 games over .500. And it’s barely mid-June. Paired with a Cardinals loss, the Cubs’ lead in the NL Central is now up to 11.5 games. For reference, the largest lead the Cardinals built last year in the Central when they were blowing out the Cubs and Pirates was just 9.0 games. It came after they swept the Cubs in St. Louis at the end of June, by the way. The Cardinals come to Chicago tomorrow, and it’s crazy to think that, even if they sweep the Cubs, and even if the Cubs lose tonight (and the Cardinals win), the smallest the Cubs’ lead can be is 7.5 games.
- Javy Baez pulled of his magical slide again last night (here’s the first time, if you didn’t remember or just want to see it again), and here are the visuals:
— Brett Taylor (@BleacherNation) June 19, 2016
— MBDChicago (@MBDChicago) June 19, 2016
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
— Randall J. Sanders (@RandallJSanders) June 19, 2016
- Don’t forget, the Cubs have a number of plausible relief candidates working their way back from injury/ineffectiveness in the minors, including Joe Nathan, Aaron Crow, and Brian Matusz. There’s also lefty Jack Leathersich, who was very impressive for the Mets before Tommy John surgery, and is looking good in Arizona right now.
- Dexter Fowler will get an MRI on his hamstring today, but Joe Maddon didn’t sound the alarms in his comments after the game. That doesn’t mean it won’t be a DL-type injury, but it didn’t sound like it was severe. We’ll see soon enough.
- Nicely done for the Cubs’ top pick in this year’s draft:
#Cubs Draft pick Thomas Hatch threw 5-hit shutout, struck out 7 in Oklahoma City's 1-0 win over UCSB in CWS today
— Carrie Muskat (@CarrieMuskat) June 18, 2016
More From Bleacher Nation