Halfway through the last game of the first half of the season, South Bend was on their way to a third place finish. At the start of the sixth inning they trailed by one in a game in which a loss meant missing both of the available first half playoff slots.
And then Josh Silver, recently signed out of the independent leagues, singled to start the sixth. He scored on a Carlos Sepulveda double. Ian Rice walked, and with two outs in the inning the biggest bat in the lineup, Eloy Jimenez, swept the bases clean with a double. The Cubs had the lead, and the pitching took care of the rest.
As a result of that inning, South Bend won the first half division title, finished the first half with the best record in the league, and guaranteed themselves a three game playoff series against West Michigan in early September.
- Pierce Johnson: 3.1 IP, 4 R (3 ER), 3 H, 3 BB, 1 K
- Gerardo Concepcion: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Corey Black: 1 IP, 1 K
- Munenori Kawasaki: 2 for 3, 2B, BB
- Mark Zagunis: 1 for 1, 3B
- Jen-Ho Tseng: 6 IP, 2 R (1 ER), 6 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Victor Caratini: 1 for 4
- Billy McKinney: 1 for 3
- David Bote: 1 for 3
- Jeremy Null: 5 IP, 3 R, 9 H, 7 K
- Michael Wagner: 4 IP, 1 H, 6 K
- Ian Happ: 3 for 4, 2B, HR, BB
- Jason Vosler: 2 for 4, 2B
- Andrew Ely: 2 for 5, SB
- Kyle Miller: 7 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 2 BB, 5 K
- Pedro Araujo: 2 IP, 4 K
- Carlos Sepulveda: 1 for 4, 2B
- Eloy Jimenez: 2 for 3, 2B
- Jose Paulino: 5 IP, 5 H, 5 K
- Alex Santana: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Mark Malave: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- D.J. Wilson: 2 for 6
- Andruw Monasterio: 2 for 6
- Wladimir Galindo: 2 for 5, 2 HR
- Yeiler Peguero: 2 for 5, HR
- Pierce Johnson was not pitching a bad game when he left in the fourth, and you might have guessed that means an injury. According to Randy Wehofer, Iowa’s broadcaster, it looked like a blister on his pitching hand. Hopefully it turns out to be a minor setback.
- Add the Eugene Emeralds to your list of Cubs farm team YouTube subscriptions. Eugene, it seems, does their highlights a little differently. It is more of, well, more of a music video to be honest. Take, for example, the video for Saturday’s game (below). It features quite a few shots of Sluggo, the best baseball mascot this side of Houston’s Orbit, as well as a twerking sasquatch and a few shots of the crowd. There are baseball highlights in there too. Good ones. But there is also a TON of fodder for the .gif makers among you. For the .gif crowd, I suspect Eugene’s video feed is going to be a never ending stream of inspiration.
- Here also are the highlights of South Bend’s playoff clinching win. No sasquatches in this one. It is definitely safe for work.
More From Bleacher Nation