Technically, the Cubs did win one game this weekend …
Friday, June 24
- Ian Happ moved up to AA, Dylan Cease had a great outing, and much more from the minor leagues.
- Among Friday’s Bullets, the planned versatility for Willson Contreras.
- Anthony Rizzo’s back stiffness kept him out of a couple games.
- The latest on Theo Epstein’s contract and the importance of hands-off ownership.
- Even other executives agree that the Cubs can make whatever upgrades they need to make without giving up their best young big league talent.
- Enjoying some Kris Bryant and Willson Contreras defensive gems.
- The Cubs closed down Friday with what would prove to be the team’s sole win of the week.
- In it, Javy Baez made his latest magical play. You just have to see these if you haven’t already.
Saturday, June 25
- The Cardinals lost one in the 9th the Mariners, and it cost Trevor Rosenthal his closer job.
- The Cubs entire system had a perfect day on Friday, and also Ian Happ pulled off a killer fakeout.
- The Cubs are really, really banged up right now.
- Anthony Rizzo returned to the lineup on Saturday, and Willson Contreras, who’s played first already, in addition to catching, moved to left field.
- The Cubs put up six runs, but, for the first time this year when scoring that many, they lost.
- Willson Contreras has so much plate coverage, and he showed it off on his third big league homer.
Sunday, June 26
- The second half is underway in the minor leagues, and Luke checked in on how things are progressing.
- Many Bullets on Addison Russell’s hot streak, Kris Bryant’s defense in left, the impact of the Cardinals’ performance, and more.
- A handful of Cubs prospects notes, including another DL stint for Pierce Johnson.
- Jose Fernandez did as Jose Fernandez does, and the Cubs couldn’t keep this one close late.
- And there was the overnight optioning of Gerardo Concepcion to AAA Iowa, though we’re still awaiting the corresponding move.