What. Just. Happened.
I have seen a lot of crazy games in my day, and I’ve even been at quite a few. But I’ve never seen anything like that. And it happened during the freaking Blogathon?!? Are you serious!?!?!? Thank you, Cubs!!!!!
There will be so much more to say and see from that game, but the short version, as best I remember it:
- The Cubs went down 6-0 through three innings, and repeatedly failed to cash in some choice scoring opportunities.
- The Cubs bullpen managed nine(!) scoreless innings from there.
- The defense was absolutely incredible time and again, including Travis Wood – yes Travis Wood – making a brilliant catch against the wall in left field.
- The Cubs had to use every position player, and every pitcher on the roster except Kyle Hendricks, John Lackey, and Jake Arrieta.
- The Cubs chipped away at the lead, but still entered the 9th inning down three runs. And tied it anyway! And the tying run scored on a two-out, two-strike wild pitch!
- Then the game went to the 12th inning, when Jason Heyward doubled, advanced to third on a sac fly, and SCORED THE WINNING RUN ON A SACRIFICE BUNT BY JON LESTER!
I lost my mind. Appropriately. I hope you were watching and you lost your mind, too.