Eloy Jimenez picked up three more hits yesterday. That was the second day in a row he had a multi-hit game and he stretched his hitting streak to nine games in the process. Seven of those nine games have contained multiple hits. In the extra bases department, that same nine game span includes six doubles, a triple, and two homers. His line read .322/.360/.504 when this streak started. It now reads .347/.384/.550. Thanks in part to the hitting streak, we get to enjoy a nice article on him courtesy of Milb.com.
Meanwhile, over in the Northwest League All-Star Game, Chris Pieters continued his very good season by finishing the game 2 for 4 with two doubles and a walk as the DH for his Northwest League squad. The NWL beat the Pioneer League 11-5.
- Trevor Cahill: 4 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 6 K. Cahill threw 62 pitches.
- Giovanni Soto: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 BB
- Jose Rosario: 1 IP, 2 K
- John Andreoli: 2 for 5, SB
- Logan Watkins: 2 for 2, 2 BB
- Michael Wagner: 7 IP, 1 R, 5 H, 2 BB, 3 K
- David Berg: 1 IP, 2 K
- Chesny Young: 4 for 5, 2B, HR, BB.
- Jorge Soler: 1 for 4, 2 BB
- Ian Happ: 2 for 6
- Victor Caratini: 2 for 4, BB
- Bijan Rademacher: 3 for 5, 2B, HR
- Kelly Dugan: 2 for 4, 2B, BB
- Jake Stinnett: 5.2 IP, 2 R (1 ER), 3 H, 5 BB, 4 K
- Pedro Araujo: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 K
- Daury Torrez: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 2 K
- David Bote: 3 for 6, 2B
- Bryant Flete: 1 for 5, 2B
- Daniel Spingola: 2 for 4, HR
- Jose Paulino: 7 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- John Williamson: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Eddy Martinez: 1 for 4, BB
- Eloy Jimenez: 3 for 4
- Matt Rose: 2 for 4, HR, BB
- Connor Myers: 3 for 4, 2B
Short Season A: Eugene Emeralds
The Emeralds are on their All Star break.
Rookie: Arizona Cubs
The Cubs were rained out.
- Yesterday we set the stage for the mid-season re-ranking of the Top 40 Prospects List by recapping how the pre-season list has done in 2016.
- In that article, I wrote regarding Chesny Young: “He can definitely hit Double A pitching. The bad news is he still has very little power.” Young, of course, promptly doubled and homered. I suspect Mr. Young will have another good game today.
- Also appearing from the Cubs’ organization the Short Season A All Star Game was pitcher Michael Knighton. He pitched one inning, walked one, and struck out a pair.