The Area Code Games are an annual amateur baseball showcase, similar in a way to the Cade Cod League, and success in the Area Code Games can go a long way to towards elevanting the draft status of a particular player. There are more than a few players who established their draft status almost entirely through their performance in events like this.
And now we can watch it happen. Baseball America has been streaming the Area Code Games live through their website this year, and if you want to get an early look at players we could be talking about around draft day next year, this is a good opportunity.
Then again, with Chicago, Myrtle Beach, South Bend, and Eugene all playing particularly well right now, Cubs fans have no shortage of viewing options when it comes to watching baseball.
- Jordan Pries: 4 IP, 5 R, 8 H, 2 BB, 3 K
- Gerardo Concepcion: 1 IP, 1 BB
- Pierce Johnson: 1 IP, 1 BB, 2 K
- Jeimer Candelario: 1 for 3, BB. His hit, the Cubs’ only one, came in the second.
- Zach Hedges: 7 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 6 K
- Trey Martin: 1 R, 2 H
- Ian Happ: 2 for 5, HR
- Jason Vosler: 1 for 4, HR. That was his first in Double A.
- Victor Caratini: 3 for 5, 2B
- Kelly Dugan: 3 for 4, 2B
- Carlos Penalver: 2 for 4
- Daniel Lockhart: 2 for 4
- Jake Stinnett: 6 IP, 4 R, 9 H, 1 BB, 6 K
- Ryan McNeil: 1.1 IP, 2 K
- Yasiel Balaguert: 2 for 3, HR, BB
- Ian Rice: 2 for 4
- Jeffrey Baez: 2 for 3, 2B
- Bryant Flete: 2 for 4, 2B
- Ryan Kellogg: 5 IP, 1 R, 6 K
- Casey Bloomquist: 2 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 1 K
- Carson Sands: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Andruw Monasterio: 1 for 4, 2B
- P.J. Higgins: 1 for 2, 2 BB
- Vimael Machin: 1 for 4, 2B
- Tyler Alamo: 2 for 3
- Erling Moreno: 5 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Tyler Peitzmeier: 3 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 5 K
- Robert Garcia: 1 for 5, BB
- Yeiler Peguero: 2 for 6
- Chris Pieters: 2 for 5, BB
- Wladimir Galindo: 4 for 6, 2B, HR
- Kevonte Mitchell: 3 for 5
- Marcus Mastrobuoni: 1 for 3, 2B, 2 BB
- Tyler Payne: 1 for 4, BB
- Trent Giambrone: 1 for 4, BB
- Javier Assad: 3 IP, 3 R, 4 H, 7 K
- Yapson Gomez: 3 IP, 4 R (1 ER), 4 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Kevin Zamudio: 2 for 4, 2B, HR
- Jhonny Peredia: 1 for 4, 2B
- Rafael Mejia: 1 for 4, HR
- Pierce Johnson as a reliever: 8 IP, 12 K, 3 BB, GO/AO 1.75, and batters are hitting just .241 off him. The sample size is small, but there are signs that this bullpen thing could work out very well for both Johnson and the Cubs.
- Zach Hedges has now struck out out ten over fourteen consecutive scoreless innings. In that same span he has walked just two.
- The Eugene Emeralds have posted some really interesting videos to their YouTube account this year (the first person batting practice being the standout entry), but it looks like they are not the only team inhabiting the awesome video space. The Iowa Cubs have released a panable video that contains a series of 360 shots of a typical Iowa Cubs evening game, starting with the ticket window and ending with fireworks. If you have ever wanted to ride along on a t-shirt cannon cart, this video is for you.