Now that all the playoff chases are over on the minor league front, there is a bit of a feeling of just waiting for the playoffs to start.
And that means we are waiting for next week. Arizona wraps up their regular season Monday, so their playoffs will likely begin on Tuesday or Wednesday. And those playoffs will go quickly. Six teams will compete in a tournament that is one game per round (best two overall records will have a first round bye). If the Cubs win three times, they have their first organizational championship of 2016.
But in the meantime, we still have plenty of games to keep us busy.
- Armando Rivero: 2 IP, 1 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Pierce Johnson: 2 IP, 4 K
- Chris Coghlan: 2 for 4
- Jeimer Candelario: 3 for 3, 2 2B, HR, BB
- Tommy La Stella: 2 for 4
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
The Smokies were rained out.
- Jeremy Null: 7 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- James Norwood: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 BB
- Ryan McNeil: 1 IP, 1 BB, 2 K
- Charcer Burks: 1 for 4, 2B, BB
- Donnie Dewees: 2 for 4, 2B
- David Bote: 2 for 3, BB
- Yasiel Balaguert: 2 for 4
- Ian Rice: 2 for 4, 2B
- Jose Paulino: 6 IP, 1 R, 5 H, 2 K
- John Williamson: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 K
- P.J. Higgins: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Andruw Monasterio: 1 for 3
- Marc Huberman: 2 IP, 1 H, 3 K
- Darryl Wilson: 3 for 6, 2 SB. He now has 18 steals.
- Zack Short: 2 for 5, 2B, BB
- Wladimir Galindo: 2 for 4, 2B, BB
- Jose Paniagua: 2 for 4
Rookie: Arizona Cubs
Arizona had the day off.
- In 17.2 innings out of the bullpen, Pierce Johnson has struck out 30, allowed just a .200 batting average against, and has a GO/AO of 2.33. He has given up a few too many walks and long balls, but the core of a very good reliever is there.
- The Tennessee Smokies completed a sweep of first place Jackson on the road. They will now take their five game winning streak into a series against Birmingham, losers of twelve straight.
- The latest Baseball America Prospect Hot Sheet does not include any Cubs prospects. Not even one. If you want to read it anyway, here it is.
- There are rain delays, and then there is whatever we’re going to call what happened in Indianapolis yesterday. This is a real video. That is really the dugout and clubhouse. And that is really a pitcher in a life vest taking batting practice while floating in an inner tube during a rain delay. So that happened:
— Rookie Davis (@rookdavis24) August 26, 2016