All three of the Cubs’ minor league affiliates in playoff action were in win-or-else games yesterday, and two of them won. Myrtle Beach beat Salem on the road to advance to the Carolina League Championship Series (known as the Mills Cup), and Eugene won over Hillsboro at home to advance to the Northwest League Championship Series.
South Bend was all tied up with West Michigan in the eighth inning when the rains came. The game was suspended and will be resumed today in the top of the eighth. The winner moves on to the semi-final round of the Midwest League Playoffs.
At worst, then, the Cubs will have two shots at an organizational championship and may yet have a chance at three. That is not a bad position to be in.
- Duane Underwood: 5 IP, 1 R, 5 H, 2 K
- Tommy Thorpe: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 1 K
- Tommy Nance: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB
- Ryan McNeil: 1.2 IP, 2 K
- David Bote: 2 for 2, 2B, BB
- Jeffrey Baez: 1 for 3, BB
Best of Five Championship Series: Tied with Lynchburg at 0-0
Next Game: Tonight at 6:05 PM ET in Myrtle Beach.
Matchup: Neither starter has been announced (although it looks like the Pelicans will probably send Erick Leal to the mound).
Low A: South Bend Cubs
The game was suspended due to rain during the eighth inning with score tied at 3. It will resume today at 4:05 PM in the top of the eighth with no outs and a West Michigan runner on first.
- Erling Moreno: 5 IP, 1 R, 6 H, 3 BB, 7 K
- Jed Carter: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB
- Michael Knighton: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 K
- Wyatt Short: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Yeiler Peguero: 1 for 2, 2 BB, SB
- Chris Pieters: 2 for 4, SB
- Kevonte Mitchell: 2 for 4, 2 2B
Best of Three Championship Series: Eugene and Everett are tied at 0-0
Next Game: Sunday night at 6:05 PM PT in Everett. Games Two and Three will be in Eugene.
Matchup: Neither pitcher has been announced.
- The Mills Cups (Carolina League) Championship Series is a best of five contest. Myrtle Beach will host the first two games, and the rest of the series will be in Lynchburg. Lynchburg is part of the Cleveland organization and advanced to the playoffs by winning the Northern Division in both halves of the season. Interestingly, they won (tied, actually) the second half title despite having a losing home record.
- Eugene has made it to the Best of Three Northwest League Championship Series despite one of their biggest bats, Wladimir Galindo, remaining quiet through the first round. Odds are good that his bat will wake up before too much longer.
More From Bleacher Nation