It was a rainy weekend in Arizona for the Cubs (and me – *kicks wet rock*), but there was still a lot going on …
Friday, February 17
- Luke took a fantastic look back at the Cubs’ 2011 draft, which directly impacting the team’s championship in 2016.
- Adding Wade Davis did a lot of good things for the Cubs, but the one that goes little discussed is the financial side of things.
- Early betting odds have the Cubs back on top.
- The Cubs are just starting to get on their way … but how much more does a dynasty require?
- Commissioner Manfred spoke at length about pace of play changes that will or will not be coming, and about the Cardinals hacking punishment.
- Jon Lester is working – successfully! – on his throws to first base.
- Spring Training Miscellany from the world of the Cubs on Friday.
Saturday, February 18
- Kyle Schwarber is catching in a modified post, Contreras and Lester will work well together, and more in the Bullets.
- Kris Bryant as a ‘Jeopardy’ answer is apparently very difficult.
- The Yankees and star reliever Dellin Betances got into a very public spat, and I’m reminded how nice it is that the Cubs don’t take players to arbitration.
- I had the opportunity to interview Cubs owner Tom Ricketts this weekend.
Sunday, February 19
- A new “That’s Cub” hype video for your enjoyment.
- Kris Bryant improved his contact ability AND his power last year, which is not an easy combo to pull off.
- Pitch tunnels, Cubs pitchers, and the art of making your pitches look the same.