Kris Bryant’s record-breaking contract was the headliner today, but his was not the only pre-arbitration deal finalized by the Cubs.
Today, the team announced contracts for the full slate of pre-arbitration players on the 40-man roster:
- Right-handed pitchers Aaron Brooks, Jake Buchanan, Eddie Butler, Carl Edwards Jr., Kyle Hendricks, Pierce Johnson, Alec Mills, Felix Pena, Jose Rosario and Duane Underwood Jr.
- Left-handed pitchers Jack Leathersich, Mike Montgomery, Caleb Smith and Rob Zastryzny.
- Catchers Victor Caratini, Willson Contreras and Kyle Schwarber.
- Infielders Javier Baez, Kris Bryant, Jeimer Candelario, Tommy La Stella and Addison Russell.
- Outfielders Albert Almora Jr., Jacob Hannemann and Matt Szczur.
The terms were not disclosed by the Cubs, though we heard about Bryant’s record deal, earlier heard about Addison Russell’s healthy raise, and Gordon Wittenmyer has tweeted out some of the more notable deals (including, for example, Kyle Hendricks getting a very solid bump to $760,500 after his near-Cy Young run). On the whole, the Cubs have a clear preference for giving their pre-arbitration players a set amount above the minimum, depending on service time and performance. It’s not what every team does, but it’s the right thing to do.
More From Bleacher Nation