Happy St. Patrick’s Day to those among you for whom that is a reverent thing, and also those among you for whom it is a reason to have some green beer. Our city celebrates the holiday especially closely, which means there’s a parade this weekend that the two big kiddos will be marching in, and they could not be more excited. I won’t be able to see it in person (I’ll still be in Arizona), but I expect some delightfully green videos!
- Kyle Schwarber talks about his outfield prep, and working with the other outfielders. As Jon Jay points out, it’s important for the four primary outfielders (Schwarber, Jay, Albert Almora, and Jason Heyward) to get a good sense of each other’s ranges, and making sure they’re on the same page with the things that they communicate about (pre-pitch and when the ball is in play). You can’t always prevent injuries like Schwarber’s last year, but the more the outfielders know about each other in advance, the better.
- More commentary here at the Tribune from the Cubs’ regular starters about the possibility of a six-man rotation. From Jon Lester: “If you look at last year, if there was any time for a sixth guy or a time to give a guy a breather, (it) was that stretch we went on into July. You need to watch the season and pay attention and see where we’re at. If we’re rolling, let us roll. And if we’re scuffling like we were then, I think you try to take a step back and give a guy an extra day or two and go from there.” We’ll see how it plays out in the regular season, whether it’s a scheduled, regular thing, or whether it’s more ad hoc like Lester suggests.
- Joe Maddon didn’t have too much to say about Hector Rondon’s ugly outing for Team Venezuela the other night – the velocity looked good, so Maddon is not concerned (Cubs.com). It’s just a matter of execution and all that.
- I hate having to share this, but I feel it is right to do so after what happened last year: the police concluded that Jose Fernandez was intoxicated and behind the wheel of his boat when it crashed at night in September, killing not only himself but the two other passengers on the boat (Miami Herald). The police report does not make what happened any less tragic, but it does add a different kind of heart-breaking gloss to what was already such a damn sad story.
- On a much lighter Marlins note, manager Don Mattingly had a cinderblock smashed on his chest because reasons.
- Manny Machado is ridiculous:
Manny. Machado. 😱😱😱 pic.twitter.com/m8pHcLUZKX
— Baseball is Fun (@flippingbats) March 17, 2017
- Just a reminder that the 30% off sale at Lids (code LUCKY) ends tonight.
- Speaking of lucky:
Green looks good on us. pic.twitter.com/kA60Xj3esL
— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) March 17, 2017
- Luis has your morning Bullets at TYL right here.
- At Amazon, you can get a laser infrared thermometer on a big sale. Why would you want a laser infrared thermometer, you ask? If you have to ask, then you just don’t get it, man.
More From Bleacher Nation