The Triple A Iowa Cubs are sitting at an even 5-5, and that is good for third place in the division. They are tied for first in the win column, though, and a total of one game behind first place Colorado Springs. The Cubs will host Colorado Springs before the end of the month, but not this week. This week they wrap up a weekend home series, and then hit the road for New Orleans and Round Rock.
The Smokies are in fourth place in their division, trailing leading Jackson by three games. At 4-6, they are also the only Cubs affiliate under .500. Tennessee will spend much of this week at home facing Birmingham, and then start a long road trip in Chattanooga on Saturday.
The High A Pelicans are also three games out of first place, and also in fourth. Myrtle Beach, 5-5, continues a homestand this week with games against Buies Creek, then travels out to Down East for a four game sequence.
South Bend is also 5-5, but they are just two games out of first and tied for third. They can make up some ground this week, though, because first place Dayton comes in for a weekend series. That is the second team to face the Cubs in the homestand; Great Lakes arrives on Monday.
- Williams Perez: 5 IP, 6 R, 10 H, 2 BB, 5 K
- Zac Rosscup: 2 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 2 K
- David Rollins: 2 IP, 2 K
- John Andreoli: 1 for 3, 2B, 2 BB
- Chesny Young: 3 for 4, BB
- Ian Happ: 2 for 4, BB
- Jeimer Candelario: 1 for 4, 2B, BB
- Bijan Rademacher: 2 for 3, 2B, BB
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee 3, Mississippi 2
This ninth inning rally wasn’t as dramatic, but it was still a game winner. And that was after a seventh inning homer to force the game into extras.
- Preston Morrison: 5.2 IP, 2 R, 6 H, 2 K
- James Pugliese: 1.1 IP, 1 BB, 2 K
- Daury Torrez: 2 IP, 2 K
- Charcer Burks: 2 for 4
- David Bote: 1 for 4, 2B
- Jeffrey Baez: 1 for 3, HR, BB
Mississippi 3, Tennessee 1
A solo homer was all the offense in this one.
- Duane Underwood: 5 IP, 3 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Steve Perakslis: 1 IP
- David Berg: 1 IP, 1 K
- Jason Vosler: 1 for 3, HR
- Casey Bloomquist: 4 IP, 3 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Dillon Maples: 2 IP, 1 R, 1 H, 3 K
- Pedro Araujo: 2 IP, 1 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 5 K
- James Norwood: 1 IP, 2 BB, 2 K
- Trent Giambrone: 1 for 5, 2B
- Bryant Flete: 3 for 4, 2B
- Jesse Hodges: 2 for 3, 2B
- Jose Paulino: 4 IP, 3 R (1 ER), 5 H, 2 BB, 1 K
- Pedro Silverio: 2 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 1 K
- Zack Short: 2 for 4, 3B, BB
- Alberto Mineo: 2 for 4, 3B, BB
- Kevonte Mitchell: 2 for 4, HR, BB
- Vimael Machin: 2 for 4, 2B
- Yeiler Peguero: 2 for 3
- Luis Ayala: 2 for 4
- Mark Zagunis is best known for his bat, but he had a very nice play in left field for Iowa yesterday. Too bad the bullpens were moved at Wrigley Field, because he’s clearly been preparing for them:
Little did you know, Superman was playing left field tonight. pic.twitter.com/4PHjQkEkOg
— Iowa Cubs (@IowaCubs) April 16, 2017