We had the longest marathon game of the season start in South Bend last night. Yes: start.
With Clinton in town for the weekend, the LumberKings and Cubs seemingly could not stop playing baseball. After Clinton rallied for four runs in the eighth to tie it, no one could do much of anything. Needless to say, this qualified as #WeirdBaseball
There is a curfew rule in the Midwest League that kicked in about 1 AM; after that point, no more innings could start. If the game continued, play would resume prior to the start of scheduled game on Saturday.
And that’s exactly what happened. The Cubs loaded the bases in the bottom of the 18th, but could not push the winning run across. This game will resume at 5:30 PM today, just prior to the regularly scheduled game.
- Aaron Brooks: 6 IP, 1 R, 5 H, 4 K
- David Rollins: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Miguel Mejia: 1 IP and a line of zeroes.
- Chesny Young: 3 for 4, 2B, BB
- Todd Glaesmann: 2 for 4, HR
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
The Smokies were rained out.
- Justin Steele: 4.2 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 3 BB, 2 K
- Dillon Maples: 2 IP, 3 K
- Craig Brooks: 1 IP, 1 H, 3 K
- Carlos Sepulveda: 1 for 4, 2B
- Jesse Hodges: 1 for 3, HR
- Bryan Hudson: 5 IP, 2 R (1 ER), 4 H, 3 BB, 6 K
- Duncan Robinson: 3 IP, 4 R, 4 H, 3 K
- Michael Rucker: 2 IP, 3 K
- Wyatt Short: 2 IP, 2 H, 2 K
- Jared Cheek: 3 IP, 7 K
- Chad Hockin: 3 IP, 2 H, 3 K
- Zack Short: 2 for 6, 3 BB
- Alberto Mineo: 2 for 6, 2 2B, BB
- Isaac Paredes: 1 for 5, 2B
- Luis Ayala: 1 for 6, 2B, 2 BB
- Darryl Wilson: 3 for 8, HR, SB
- Brandon Cummins: 1 for 7, 2 BB, 2 SB
- In case you missed it, the two highest ranked, healthy members of the Top 40 were named the Cubs Player and Pitcher of the Month for April. With Eloy Jimenez still nursing a shoulder injury, Iowa’s Jeimer Candelario and Myrtle Beach’s Dylan Cease ran away with the monthly honors.
- Chesny Young now has four multi-hit games in a row, totaling ten hits over those four games. His batting average, just .213 as the start of the streak, is up to .279.
- Not familiar with #WeirdBaseball? It is a Twitter thing, started many years ago and kept alive by a few diehard acolytes. In a nutshell, any baseball that is played after midnight local time qualifies as weird baseball. To celebrate, we eat ice cream.
- If Myrtle Beach has any of those trophies left, they should send them up to the fans who hung around in South Bend for the entirety of that marathon. And maybe give on to the umpire; he called the game all by his lonesome, no other officials on the field, after the seventh.
- Marc Huberman has been promoted from South Bend to Myrtle Beach. In 12.1 innings in Low A, the lefty reliever finished with an ERA of 2.19 and struck out 18. Joining South Bend was former Frontier League outfielder Brandon Cummins. He had a shot to win the game in the bottom of the 18th, but didn’t quite pull it off.
- I’ve been doing this for five years now, and I don’t recall seeing another game suspended due to time. Welcome to baseball; something new every day.