The sun! It shines so brightly and beautifully! The birds! They sing so charmingly and cheerfully! The air! It smells so fresh and new!
Friday, June 2
- Theo Epstein talked about the laws of baseball reality, and where things stood with the Cubs.
- He also left on the table the possibility that struggling young players could be optioned to the minors.
- Rival execs believe the Cubs may have some free agent targets already lined up.
- Kyle Schwarber started sliding down the lineup on Friday (first to seventh, and then ninth), and Joe Maddon discussed why.
- The Cubs went down early to the Cardinals, but chipped away (including Kris Bryant’s 12th homer) and came back to win.
- Before the game, Dexter Fowler got his World Series ring in a nice moment.
Saturday, June 3
- The Pelicans had a huge comeback, complete with Eloy Jimenez playing hero, and Matt Rose with a walk-off bomb.
- The big rumor of the day was Peter Gammons saying he’s heard Bryce Harper wants to be a Cub.
- Among Saturday’s Bullets: John Lackey adjusted, Pedro Strop had a huge moment, the Cubs have another imperfect leadoff situation, and more.
- The Cubs fell in an early hole, but managed to come back in grand fashion and beat the Cardinals.
- The win featured not only a Kyle Schwarber grand slam, but the rarest moment of all: Jon Lester picked off a runner at first base.
Sunday, June 4
- In the minors, the Cubs have affiliates gunning for the playoffs this week.
- Among Sunday’s Bullets: Addison Russell and Javy Baez are now sharing shortstop, and Joe Maddon is finding the best ways to get Kyle Schwarber pitches to hit.
- David Ross was back at Wrigley Field as part of ESPN’s crew for the game, and he wound up playing catch with Jason Heyward from the bleachers.
- And the Cubs capped off the sweep with another comeback win.