Brett Anderson started for the Smokies in a relatively rare road rehab assignment yesterday.
Typically the Cubs like rehabbing players to be pitching at home where the Cubs have their full suite of staff and cameras available, but right now every team east of the Rocky Mountains is on the road except Myrtle Beach, and they had rain in the forcast.
Anderson pitched well in Mobile, though. He had no strikeouts, but in his 51 pitches and four scoreless innings he also allowed no walks and induced seven groundouts. In his first rehab start like this, you’d expect him to be pounding the zone.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa’s game in Round Rock was suspended after two innings due to a wet field. Since not much has happened, we’ll save the full breakdown for after the completion of this one.
- Brett Anderson: 4 IP, 1 R, 5 H
- James Pugliese: 3 IP, 3 H, 2 BB
- Dillon Maples: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- David Bote: 1 for 3, 3B
- Yasiel Balaguert: 2 for 4, 2B
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The Pelicans were rained out.
- Dylan Cease: 4 IP, 2 BB, 5 K
- Vimael Machin: 3 for 4, 2B
- Isaac Paredes: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Kevonte Mitchell: 2 for 4
- Matt Swarmer: 5 IP, 3 R, 6 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Andry Rondon: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Rafael Narea: 2 for 5
- Aramis Ademan: 1 for 2, 3B, 3 BB
- Joey Martarano: 4 for 4, 2B, HR, BB
- Jhonny Bethencourt: 1 for 3, 2B, 2 BB
- Kwang-Min Kwon: 2 for 4, HR
- Jose Gonzalez: 2 for 4, 2B
- Alfredo Colorado: 3 IP, 4 R, 8 H, 3 K
- Eury Ramos: 4 IP, 3 R, 6 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Kevin Zamudio: 1 for 3, BB
- Yovanny Cuevas: 2 for 3, 2 2B, BB
- The Cubs appear to still have Cease on an abundance-of-caution pitch count, as has been the case since he came off the disabled list with the ankle injury. Yesterday he was limited to just 52 pitches over four innings. Those happened to be four really good, hitless innings that include five strikeouts and two walks. In other words, I don’t think we have any reason to worry about Cease. That’s the second time, by the way, he’s had a “short no-hitter” this season.
- LSU has advanced to the College World Series Final, a best of three series against Florida. Cubs’ fans should probably be rooting for this series to not need that third game, though. If it gets that far, first round pick and number 30 overall Cubs’ draftee Alex Lange, the ace for LSU, will be the pitcher on shorter than normal rest for a college starter.
- A lot of Cubs’ 2017 draftees are signing now, and the Baseball America Draft Database is starting to fill in with a lot of that data. BA doesn’t have the bonus numbers for many of the new Cubs yet, but I suspect those will be coming soon.