The Southern League has named Tennessee first baseman Yasiel Balaguert the Player of the Week. For the week Balaguert hit .423 with a homer and a pair of doubles while walking twice and striking out just three times.
For the season the 24-year-old Balaguert is hitting .255/.310/.408 with a walk rate of 7.1%, a strikeout of just 19.8%, and 12 home runs. In addition to first base, this left-handed slugger has seen some time in both corner outfield slots.
Balaguert has been somewhat of a late blooming prospect. He has been in the system since 2012, but this season is his first taste of Double A. For most of his professional career his calling card has been better than average power with a moderate strikeout rate. That’s a formula that could propel him to a major league job of some kind one day, although probably not with the Cubs given that the Cubs are set at first.
- Williams Perez: 6 IP, 2 R, 4 H, 4 BB, 6 K
- Justin Hancock: 2 IP, 4 K
- Justin Grimm: 2 IP, 1 H, 3 K
- Mark Zagunis: 3 for 3
- Taylor Davis: 2 for 5, 2B
- Mike Freeman: 1 for 2, 2B
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
The Smokies were rained out.
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Daytona had the day off.
- Matt Swarmer: 5 IP, 3 R, 5 H, 6 K
- Mark Malave: 2 IP, 3 BB, 2 K
- Luis Ayala: 1 for 3, 2 BB
- Chris Pieters: 1 for 4, 2B
- Jhonny Pereda: 3 for 4
- Cory Abbott: 2 IP, 1 R, 1 H, 3 K
- Brian Glowicki: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Jhonny Bethencourt: 1 for 3, BB, 2 SB
- Jared Young: 1 for 4, 2B, BB
- Brandon Hughes: 1 for 1, 2B, 2 BB, SB
- Gustavo Polanco: 1 for 3, 2B
- Michael Cruz: 1 for 4, 2B
- Miguel Amaya: 1 for 3, 2B
Rookie: AZL Cubs
Arizona had the day off.
- Mike Freeman was recently signed by the Cubs to provide some depth on the infield, and was immediately plugged into a super-sub role. He entered the game as a pinch hitter, played right, and then moved down to shortstop.